Thread poster: RWS Community
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
English
Mar 26, 2019

Hi,

We have nearly completed the development of a plugin for SDL Trados Studio which you can learn a little about here:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/21802/75202#75202

So far we can support out of the box with the plugin SRT, SBV, webVTT and SpruceSTL subtitle formats.
... See more
Hi,

We have nearly completed the development of a plugin for SDL Trados Studio which you can learn a little about here:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/21802/75202#75202

So far we can support out of the box with the plugin SRT, SBV, webVTT and SpruceSTL subtitle formats. I am wondering if there are other formats considered common enough for us to create a specific filetype for this? We thought about the ASS format as I came across this with one user a couple of years ago, but as we are in a position to add support for more at the moment I thought I'd ask the question in here.

If any of you use SDL Trados Studio for translating subtitles perhaps you could share your wishlist of things a plugin should be able to support, including additional filetypes?

Thanks

Paul
SDL Community - http://xl8.one
Collapse

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
English to Portuguese
PAC filetype Mar 26, 2019

Hi there.
Even without knowing how that plugin will work with SDL Trados, I'm very interested to see it, especially if it supports translation memories (something I've never seen for subtitles).
ASS filetype is most welcome, but also PAC. 80% of my works are distributed in PAC, so I think it should be included.

Regards.

Yoana Ivanova
Yoana Ivanova  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:37
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
ASS Mar 26, 2019

I would be interested in trying out this plugin. I had never considered using Trados for subtitles before, but .ass support would be very much appreciated.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
PAC filetype Mar 27, 2019

António Madeira wrote:

Even without knowing how that plugin will work with SDL Trados, I'm very interested to see it, especially if it supports translation memories (something I've never seen for subtitles).

Thanks António, the plugin sits inside Studio and uses all the features available so Translation Memories, Terminology, Machine Translation, QA etc. and then we added some specific features related to subtitling in support of the video preview and filetype support. It has been a really fun project to work on.

António Madeira wrote:

ASS filetype is most welcome, but also PAC. 80% of my works are distributed in PAC, so I think it should be included.

PAC is one I have not come across at all. I had a long list to consider and this wasn't in the list at all. After googling it a little I note it's a binary format, which does add some complexity, but we could possibly use a conversion tool in a seamless way so you didn't see it and then handle the file as SRT or something we can already support, then save the target file back as PAC. We would need to look at this... depends on how many people seem to need it. It was interesting to see you have 80% of your work in this format.

Paul.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
ASS filetype Mar 27, 2019

Yoana Ivanova wrote:

I would be interested in trying out this plugin. I had never considered using Trados for subtitles before, but .ass support would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Yoana, I'll post back into here once the plugin is available. We can add more filetypes over time, and so far ASS seems to be the one most people are coming back with requests for so it might be one we tackle next. I want to gather as much as feedback as I can before we make that decision so we help as many people as possible with the filetypes before tackling the lesser used ones.

The good thing is that we have also ensured we can support developers creating their own so when we release we'll document this aspect well so that developers can create their own filetypes and make use of the subtitling support we provide with the main plugin. Will also make it easier to simply add more filetypes as separate plugins in the future without the need for upgrading the main subtitling plugin every time someone does this.

Paul.

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
English to Portuguese
- Mar 27, 2019

I already worked for three different companies in Portugal and all of them ask for subtitles in pac format.
I don't know about other countries, but here it seems the norm.

In my opinion, using SDL with subtitles and being able to access TM (especially for those who work with documentaries) will be a major break for subtitlers.
I've used 4 professional software programs for subtitling and none of them have this. I'm very curious and interested to see how this is going to
... See more
I already worked for three different companies in Portugal and all of them ask for subtitles in pac format.
I don't know about other countries, but here it seems the norm.

In my opinion, using SDL with subtitles and being able to access TM (especially for those who work with documentaries) will be a major break for subtitlers.
I've used 4 professional software programs for subtitling and none of them have this. I'm very curious and interested to see how this is going to work out.

SDL Community wrote:
PAC is one I have not come across at all. I had a long list to consider and this wasn't in the list at all. After googling it a little I note it's a binary format, which does add some complexity, but we could possibly use a conversion tool in a seamless way so you didn't see it and then handle the file as SRT or something we can already support, then save the target file back as PAC. We would need to look at this... depends on how many people seem to need it. It was interesting to see you have 80% of your work in this format.

Paul.
Collapse

Jean Chao

The Department
The Department
Romania
Local time: 17:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
Additional file type to consider for SDL Trados Apr 25, 2019

We often receive .cap files and need to deliver in .srt format. All conversions that we have tried so far result in different issues/bugs than need to be manually fixed before starting the job.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The quoted post was deleted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating subtitle files in a CAT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »