Alternatives to Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 04:12
Swedish to English
Jul 12, 2010

I downloaded a trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 to evaluate it and it was pretty obvious that the program would be a useful tool for the translation work that I do. The Professional version of Trados is beyond what I need as far as capacity goes and it’s also quite expensive, 2995 Euros. The Freelance version would suffice nicely and, at 845 Euros, it would also keep my employer happy. Consequently we purchased a Freelance licence.
The problem is you can’t install the Freelance
... See more
I downloaded a trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 to evaluate it and it was pretty obvious that the program would be a useful tool for the translation work that I do. The Professional version of Trados is beyond what I need as far as capacity goes and it’s also quite expensive, 2995 Euros. The Freelance version would suffice nicely and, at 845 Euros, it would also keep my employer happy. Consequently we purchased a Freelance licence.
The problem is you can’t install the Freelance version on a computer connected to a domain-based network, e.g. a computer in an office network, even if you install and use it locally and not as a network application. I’ve been in contact with SDL Trados Support and they tell me this is by design.
Now, in case we don’t come up with a solution for this: what other CAT tool would the members of this forum recommend that we check out?
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
memoQ and others... Jul 12, 2010

Profdoc wrote:

The problem is you can’t install the Freelance version on a computer connected to a domain-based network, e.g. a computer in an office network, even if you install and use it locally and not as a network application.

I don't remember exactly (I have Pro and I tested the FL setup many years ago) but I think it's possible to run TFL on this kind of network but the machine should not be a part of the domain.
If I'm wrong, the machine should be properly firewalled and it will work.
Of course, it's a pain in the arse from the usability point of view.

I’ve been in contact with SDL Trados Support and they tell me this is by design.

Well, it's so called Trados tax for professional users

Now, in case we don’t come up with a solution for this: what other CAT tool would the members of this forum recommend that we check out?

As I understand, you need a "general purpose" Windows oriented stand alone CAT tool.
Probably the best solution now is memoQ.
http://www.kilgray.com
You should also check other tools, your feature matrix may be different of mine (e,g. the awful Wordfast Pro fuzzy terminology matching is not so catastrophic for Swedish than it is for Polish).
You have a lot of different choices, e.g. I appreciate Swordfish and Metatexis but I don't use 'em in a real life.
And, of course, you should check DVX 2, when/if finally released

The choice is highly subjective but rather well founded

Cheers
GG

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's all in the settings Jul 13, 2010

It’s the setting of the computer that determines if you can run Trados Freelance or not. It doesn’t matter whether or not you’re actually connected to the network.

You can of course get a Professional licence or install Trados Freelance on a separate machine – it’s basically down to usability (as CG points out) and money. This is of course how the world works, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
virtual machine Jul 13, 2010

I have been playing with this idea for some time but have not got to experimenting with it yet - is it possible/advantageous to install Trados on a "single purpose" vitual machine (with a byproduct advantage of "petrified" Java and other Trados dependencies)?

Has anyone tried this kind of setup and, if yes, are they willing to share their experience?

Antonin

T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
MemoQ...definitely! Jul 13, 2010

Profdoc wrote:
It’s the setting of the computer that determines if you can run Trados Freelance or not... This is of course how the world works, but it's still a bit frustrating.

I completely agree!

Having more info about your specific needs will help us helping you...

Anyway - if you don't need to go the market leader' way - the TEnT I would reccomend in this moment is definitely MemoQ! I would need 4 pages to tell you what it gives you more/better than others...but this is not my job afterall, and there are people glad to do that (i.e. Kilgray people ) I can just testify that they don't lie and the product does its job!

You can download the free trial licence for 45 days WITH support included - and ask them whatever you want about your specific need!

In case your specific needs would require a more specific tool, just let us know...

Good luck,
RR

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Freelance on virtual machine doesn't work either. Jul 13, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I have been playing with this idea for some time but have not got to experimenting with it yet - is it possible/advantageous to install Trados on a "single purpose" vitual machine (with a byproduct advantage of "petrified" Java and other Trados dependencies)?

Has anyone tried this kind of setup and, if yes, are they willing to share their experience?

Antonin

We tried that too. Our IT department set up a virtual machine (with a home/workgroup network setting) on one of our servers and I accessed it using Windows' Remote Desktop Connection. I installed Trados Studio 2009 Freelance on the virtual machine but it didn't work. I asked SDL support about it and got the following answer:

"Our system will deactivate the license activation if there is a remote connection. This is by design for licenses with activation codes as otherwise you can use one license to serve all users connecting to that machine."

Maybe Trados Professional could work on a setup like this, but obviously I haven't tried that since we only have a Freelance licence.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
A smarter RDP... Jul 13, 2010

Profdoc wrote:

We tried that too. Our IT department set up a virtual machine (with a home/workgroup network setting) on one of our servers and I accessed it using Windows' Remote Desktop Connection. I installed Trados Studio 2009 Freelance on the virtual machine but it didn't work. I asked SDL support about it and got the following answer:

"Our system will deactivate the license activation if there is a remote connection. This is by design for licenses with activation codes as otherwise you can use one license to serve all users connecting to that machine."

Maybe Trados Professional could work on a setup like this, but obviously I haven't tried that since we only have a Freelance licence.

Trados Pro works on RDP if the floating license is used.
Trados FL will work on RDP but you should not use the MS RDP.
See TeamViewer or some VNC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
It should work... Jul 13, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Trados FL works well on virtual machines if the MS remote desktop is not used (like in the virtual XP machine in Windows 7).
But even in this case, I suppose you can install a third party RD

Cheers
GG

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
Sandbox Jul 16, 2010

Hello,

Try sandboxing the application.

Google "sandbox AND PC" or "sandbox AND wikipedia" to learn what it is...You can install the app and run it in a separate virtual drive sort of..It could work and its safe.

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados - memoQ Oct 13, 2010

Just in case anybody wonders: we switched from Trados to memoQ translator pro. It works great, even in a domain-based network, and and it's cheaper (a lot!). I also find it easier to work with than Trados. Then again, maybe that's because Trados was the first CAT tool I ever used - when we switched to memoQ, I had more of a basic understanding of how it's supposed to work.
SDL were very accomodating about refunding our Trados license, by the way. No problem there.

[Edited at 2010-1
... See more
Just in case anybody wonders: we switched from Trados to memoQ translator pro. It works great, even in a domain-based network, and and it's cheaper (a lot!). I also find it easier to work with than Trados. Then again, maybe that's because Trados was the first CAT tool I ever used - when we switched to memoQ, I had more of a basic understanding of how it's supposed to work.
SDL were very accomodating about refunding our Trados license, by the way. No problem there.

[Edited at 2010-10-13 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Valenza
Cristina Valenza
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast Oct 13, 2010

If you don't need a program with style check tools, WORDFAST is a good CAT tool.

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I've been using Trados freelance on a network for years!!! Oct 13, 2010

Just caught this thread. I use Trados 2007 Freelance (not 2009 Studio), and I've been using it, installed standalone, in various clients' computers for years (I had Trados 6.5 before 2007).

I never had a problem with the computer being on a LAN, or any kind of network.

Is this something that SDL have introduced with 2009 Studio? Because if it is, I'd like to know... I was intending to upgrade to 2009 this week or next week.

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yup, could be specific to Trados Studio 2009. Oct 13, 2010

I have no experience with Trados other than the Studio 2009 Freelance version, so I don't know too much about this. From what I understand though, and SDL support is pretty clear on this, Trados Studio 2009 Freelance will not work on a computer that is set up to function on a domain-based network. If your clients have a WorkGroup/Peer-to-peer network -- should be OK. If it's a domain network -- not OK.

Here's a quote from a mail I received from SDL:
"The freelance version has
... See more
I have no experience with Trados other than the Studio 2009 Freelance version, so I don't know too much about this. From what I understand though, and SDL support is pretty clear on this, Trados Studio 2009 Freelance will not work on a computer that is set up to function on a domain-based network. If your clients have a WorkGroup/Peer-to-peer network -- should be OK. If it's a domain network -- not OK.

Here's a quote from a mail I received from SDL:
"The freelance version has been created for individuals and does work on a WorkGroup based network - but as you mention not on a domain network." Not much room for doubt there.

Maybe you should get in contact with SDL support before you upgrade.

Hope this will save you some trouble!
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Oct 13, 2010

[Edited to remove stupid question]

Thanks! This could be saving me LOTS of time and, um, time.

And time is...? Money.

[Edited at 2010-10-13 14:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to Trados Studio 2009?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »