How to import Microsoft glossaries in Trados?
Thread poster: Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi
Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi
Mauro Cristuib-Grizzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:40
English to Italian
Feb 24, 2003

I\'m just starting to use Trados Freelance 5.5 and was wondering how to import the standard Microsoft glossaries as a translation memory or a Multiterm database. Anyone with some experience in this?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Mauro

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:40
French to English
No real difference from any other document type Feb 24, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-24 16:51, microwide wrote:

I\'m just starting to use Trados Freelance 5.5 and was wondering how to import the standard Microsoft glossaries as a translation memory or a Multiterm database. Anyone with some experience in this?

Mauro

You will however want to be prepared to spend a lot of time weeding out mater... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-24 16:51, microwide wrote:

Mauro

You will however want to be prepared to spend a lot of time weeding out material you would not want in your memory. I did it in my spare time (for the French file), and it took several months. Information technology is my specialty so it was definitely worth the effort, but that is also because I mainly use DejaVu for translations. I don\'t know how helpful the material would be in a Trados memory since matches are always at the sentence level, unlike DejaVu that works at the word, phrase and sentence level. FWIW, even though I specialize in IT, I have never encountered a match from the Microsoft material in my Trados memory when working with Trados.

When I had finally removed all the unwanted material, I just imported the file into my DejaVu memory from the Excel file. I then exported the DejaVu memory to a Trados memory.

If you do not have DejaVu (or another memory program that can import from Excel files), use the standard procedure for preparing a text file for import as a memory.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Matthew Coulson
Matthew Coulson  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
Trados multiterm documentation tells you how. Feb 25, 2003

You can look at the following example in Trados support http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=827 or you can read in the manual about importing a text file into multiterm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import Microsoft glossaries in Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »