Thread poster: fetsan (X)
fetsan (X)
fetsan (X)
Local time: 00:42
English to German
+ ...
Apr 24, 2011

Hello all,

I am writing a term paper about the effect of translation platforms such as proz on various factors in the translation business.
To back up my analyses, I would need around 20 people to answer the following few questions.
Thanks in advance for your efforts!

How long are you already working as a freelance translator?

What kind of marketing do you use?
- advertising on the internet
- wallet cards/advertising letter... See more
Hello all,

I am writing a term paper about the effect of translation platforms such as proz on various factors in the translation business.
To back up my analyses, I would need around 20 people to answer the following few questions.
Thanks in advance for your efforts!

How long are you already working as a freelance translator?

What kind of marketing do you use?
- advertising on the internet
- wallet cards/advertising letter
- presence at exhibitions
- PR (scientific papers, etc.)

Do you spend money on your marketing?

Do you have a homepage?

At which translation platforms are you registered?

Do you pay for your membership? If yes, are you satisfied with the price/performance ratio?

Are you a member of a professional association (e.g. ATA)? If yes, does that help you acquiring clients?

Do you approach clients by yourself or do you wait to be found?

You can send the answers via PM or post them here, I guarantee not to use the submitted for anything but an empirical analysis for the sole purpose of my term paper!
Collapse

George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I am George Trail, a freelance translator (2 years experience) Apr 30, 2011

Here are my answers:

I do have a website - http://www.georgetrail.com - but some claim that it is very primitive by modern online marketing standards.
No wallet cards or advertising letter - mine isn't a local business. I have advertised my services to translation agencies and certain othr kinds of organisation all over the world.
Exhibitions, no.
I can't say I use PR.
I sp
... See more
Here are my answers:

I do have a website - http://www.georgetrail.com - but some claim that it is very primitive by modern online marketing standards.
No wallet cards or advertising letter - mine isn't a local business. I have advertised my services to translation agencies and certain othr kinds of organisation all over the world.
Exhibitions, no.
I can't say I use PR.
I spend money on marketing.
I have a homepage (already stated).
I pay for membership on ProZ and would consider doing the same for my accounts on Translatorpub, Traduguide, Translatorscafe or Translatorstown.com and I am generally happy with what I pay for. It's not just a matter of translation job offers by email; there is also the discussion forums, among other things.
I'm not a member of any professional organisation.
I both approach potential clients by myself and wait to be found.
Collapse

fetsan (X)
fetsan (X)
Local time: 00:42
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you George Apr 30, 2011

for your answers!
I had a look at your website and I must say that it looks a little unstructurized and pale, but it has good content.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A little survey for my term paper

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »