Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18] >
Off topic: Which music are you listening to now, in 2021?
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
Not necessarily normally... Nov 18, 2022

But this had me captivated, better with video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekZpkYf7-E

Pretty powerful

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Walk Away - Franz Ferdinand Nov 18, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_wzpmVzdE

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The greatest living jazz singer Nov 20, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLFzF6pC3o

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
Röyksopp, Profound Mysteries Nov 21, 2022

For those who like electronic music, Röyksopp have released a masterpiece, a 3-part album “Profound Mysteries”. You can listen to the full 3 parts on their channel https://youtu.be/FQ-bUB6lCuw . The visuals have been created by Australian visual artist Jonathan Zawada.

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Music while working Nov 21, 2022

I literally cannot work if I am not listening to music at the same time. When I switch on the computer in the morning, firstly I play music and then I start to work.

I do not listen to what you call relaxing music, although is relaxing for me, but I have been listing to almost every genre among the heavy metal the last 20 years (since I was 12 years old). Death metal, black metal, hardcore, bands of the Neue Deutsche Härte and I love Folk Metal (a mix between traditional music and
... See more
I literally cannot work if I am not listening to music at the same time. When I switch on the computer in the morning, firstly I play music and then I start to work.

I do not listen to what you call relaxing music, although is relaxing for me, but I have been listing to almost every genre among the heavy metal the last 20 years (since I was 12 years old). Death metal, black metal, hardcore, bands of the Neue Deutsche Härte and I love Folk Metal (a mix between traditional music and heavy metal). The Folk Metal bands can vary a lot between countries and continents since they play a mix of heavy metal and their national music and almost always, they sing in their mother tongues.

Let's say the huge difference between In Extremo (Germany), Waggaki Band (Japan), Suld (Inner Mongolia, China) or Myrath (Tunisia).

It is an almost completely unknown genre by the streaming mass, but very interesting.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action - Franz Ferdinand Nov 25, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ44MZmJBPM&list=PLyWB0TxTMmTn32Im7bSZgRo58-UmgY9id

Can’t believe the band is 20 years old already. It felt like only a couple of years ago that I first saw their “Do You Want To” clip on MTV. Time flies, eh? 🤠

[Edited at 2022-11-25 12:39 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Folk metal, eh? Dec 2, 2022

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:

[…] I love Folk Metal (a mix between traditional music and heavy metal). The Folk Metal bands can vary a lot between countries and continents since they play a mix of heavy metal and their national music and almost always, they sing in their mother tongues.

Like…

Huolettomat - Korpiklaani (Finland)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqdregDigO0

…or…

Angelus - Subway to Sally (Germany)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QeEtIZaQQ

…?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Same here Dec 2, 2022

If there are lyrics in music, it’s quite distracting when I’m working with a lot of words.

I really wish I had the privilege of gossiping with nurses above patient’s head and listening to radio/music non-stop while making money, like my dentist. Btw, I changed the dentist. The new one works in complete silence and his work is much, much better.

Instrumentals (no lyrics) are fine. If I feel sleepy, “red” music is fine, like military marches, or something uplift
... See more
If there are lyrics in music, it’s quite distracting when I’m working with a lot of words.

I really wish I had the privilege of gossiping with nurses above patient’s head and listening to radio/music non-stop while making money, like my dentist. Btw, I changed the dentist. The new one works in complete silence and his work is much, much better.

Instrumentals (no lyrics) are fine. If I feel sleepy, “red” music is fine, like military marches, or something uplifting. The time when I’m listening to music the most is in my car. Although our mechanic says it’s wrong as I should be listening to the nuances of the engine.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Distraction Dec 4, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Ditto.

Instrumentals (no lyrics) are fine.

This is where we differ. I'd always stop whatever I'm doing when I get to the good bit and instantaneously switch my focus to the music. I could never play my collection in the background while working on something else. For me, the “correct” way to enjoy the tunes is to just sit, relax, and pay 100% attention to the tracks. I love dissecting the songs as I'm listening to them, and picking up their aural details along the way. This would only be possible with a quality pair of headphones, of course.

Baran Keki
Lingua 5B

David Skelding
David Skelding
German to English
Backing music Dec 5, 2022

It depends on what I'm doing. When I'm translating I find I can listen to quite lively music, with lyrics. Iron Maiden are surprisingly good to work to – it's got a nice fast rhythm to it and I can just ignore Bruce Dickinson wailing about devils or whatever. On the other hand, I find German lyrics quite distracting.

When I'm reviewing, video game music is pretty good as it was designed to blend into the background without distracting too much. The soundtracks to Skyrim and Sim Ci
... See more
It depends on what I'm doing. When I'm translating I find I can listen to quite lively music, with lyrics. Iron Maiden are surprisingly good to work to – it's got a nice fast rhythm to it and I can just ignore Bruce Dickinson wailing about devils or whatever. On the other hand, I find German lyrics quite distracting.

When I'm reviewing, video game music is pretty good as it was designed to blend into the background without distracting too much. The soundtracks to Skyrim and Sim City 3000 are among my favourites.
Collapse

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Partially agree Dec 5, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

Instrumentals (no lyrics) are fine.

This is where we differ. I'd always stop whatever I'm doing when I get to the good bit and instantaneously switch my focus to the music. I could never play my collection in the background while working on something else. For me, the “correct” way to enjoy the tunes is to just sit, relax, and pay 100% attention to the tracks. I love dissecting the songs as I'm listening to them, and picking up their aural details along the way. This would only be possible with a quality pair of headphones, of course.

It's sometimes like that for me as well. It depends on the type of content and my mood/state of mind. Yes, sometimes working on a file and listening to music at once may result in sensory overload. There is a sweet spot when that happens, then I simply continue working in silence. In fact rarely do I play music while working, I rather do it when I take breaks.

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys (12" vinyl, played on Audio-Technica AT-LP120 turntable) Dec 11, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpEfpmU4Wo

I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I DON'T NEED IT!!!

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 13:17
English to Russian
+ ...
I guess multitasking isn't one of my strengths Dec 13, 2022

Now that I can't understand how people can be working and listening to music at the same time. I tried memoQ's Zen feature once, just as an experiment, but that thing added nothing to my work environment. And the music that plays there is zenny music, it has no development you'd be supposed to follow. I guess someone could be working to something like the Mad Nightingales of the Russian Forest by Sergei Kuriokhin. I really don't want anything in the background when I'm working. When music... See more
Now that I can't understand how people can be working and listening to music at the same time. I tried memoQ's Zen feature once, just as an experiment, but that thing added nothing to my work environment. And the music that plays there is zenny music, it has no development you'd be supposed to follow. I guess someone could be working to something like the Mad Nightingales of the Russian Forest by Sergei Kuriokhin. I really don't want anything in the background when I'm working. When music is on, I'm listening (or ignoring it if it's bad). So, should I infer that my brain is a bad at multitasking? Okay, never mind. Out of Kuriokhin's works, I prefer the Sparrow Oratorium, to name one example. In my book, it's a total masterpiece (but someone might just shrug their shoulders at it). It has a libretto written in a made-up language, so anyone who wants music to be on while they're working but doesn't want to get distracted by the lyrics can give it a listen (for me, there is no way I could be translating business-as-usual when that thing is playing)Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which music are you listening to now, in 2021?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »