Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you use the Internet for mostly?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have this fantasy.... Oct 9, 2008

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I order all books, holidays, presents etc over the internet and I don't actually have a bank to visit except online. I've happily been able to cut out estate agents too, having today received an offer on my house advertised on the web. I suppose I should worry about shopkeepers etc losing their jobs, but we all have to change with the times. My daughter saw the opportunities it provided and gave up her job to open an internet-only gift store that's going very well.

I like to imagine how the world would change if most of the retail stores did close down. I envision most shopping (including food) on the internet, and the products coming from warehouses in remote areas. As for where the stores used to be, there could be beautiful green spaces, parks, and so on. Of course there would be less driving, since everything would be done online, so that would help the environment as well as the economy. Anybody have any other fantasies?

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We already shop food on the internet... Oct 9, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I order all books, holidays, presents etc over the internet and I don't actually have a bank to visit except online. I've happily been able to cut out estate agents too, having today received an offer on my house advertised on the web. I suppose I should worry about shopkeepers etc losing their jobs, but we all have to change with the times. My daughter saw the opportunities it provided and gave up her job to open an internet-only gift store that's going very well.

I like to imagine how the world would change if most of the retail stores did close down. I envision most shopping (including food) on the internet, and the products coming from warehouses in remote areas. As for where the stores used to be, there could be beautiful green spaces, parks, and so on. Of course there would be less driving, since everything would be done online, so that would help the environment as well as the economy. Anybody have any other fantasies?

Once a month we order goods to our favourite supermarket. It's awesome because we get to compare prices and we even get an 18% discount. We also buy several electronic goods through other internet platforms.

Besides shopping, we use the internet for "all of the above"

Cheers

Letty

[Edited at 2008-10-09 23:59]

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Other = see below Oct 10, 2008

e-mails/research-work/browsing equally

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
whydon't they include all of the above? Oct 10, 2008

really, how would any of us do our jobs without the internet?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other=Everything Oct 10, 2008

I also cannot live without the Internet anymore. I use it for nearly everything.
Viva Internet

Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Reed's right Oct 10, 2008

Emule is dangerous. Go for Bittorrent instead

Reed D. James wrote:

John Cutler wrote:

I mostly use the Internet for work and sending emails.

It's also useful for finding TV series and documentaries in the original version, which for me is literally the only chance I have most days to hear English spoken, but I won't go into too much detail about my love for emule

The truth is by the end of the day my eyes are so tired from looking at the screen that I'd rather find something else to do, so I can't be bothered to use it for chatting, surfing, etc.

There is some pretty malicious software out there on E-mule that can mess up your computer. What looks like "getting something for nothing" may turn out to be a rude awakening.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
MOSTLY work including e-mails... Oct 10, 2008

I voted mostly work, but wondered about e-mails.

The majority of my e-mails are work-related, so I counted them there. Likewise bank transactions... In terms of time I probably spend more researching and surfing.

I try to get away from the computer when I'm not working, but there is of course a lot of private traffic when I have family based in three countries and the odd relative taking business or study trips to Greece, China, Mongolia, Japan, the USA... not to mentio
... See more
I voted mostly work, but wondered about e-mails.

The majority of my e-mails are work-related, so I counted them there. Likewise bank transactions... In terms of time I probably spend more researching and surfing.

I try to get away from the computer when I'm not working, but there is of course a lot of private traffic when I have family based in three countries and the odd relative taking business or study trips to Greece, China, Mongolia, Japan, the USA... not to mention holidays. But then many of my relatives do still use the telephone and postcards sent by snail-mail.

I thought I was quite a Sally-stay-at-home, but I have my links all over the global village, it seems!
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
mostly work Oct 10, 2008

but e-mail too.

I can't imagine the life without internet .... how do we live before internet ????? I've forget !!! LOL !

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
All of these Oct 10, 2008

I really can't say I do one thing more than the other.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you use the Internet for mostly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »