Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think today, in the Internet age, it is necessary to have business cards?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We all have our different ways Nov 15, 2017

Jan Truper wrote:
In my private, real, everyday life, I like to be just myself -- I reserve the right to behave "unprofessionally"

Oh definitely - so do I .

I have a bit of an aversion against people who do any sort of marketing.

But you have profiles on ProZ.com and lots of other sites, a CV, a website - so surely you're doing some sort of marketing yourself?

Of course you CAN do perfectly well without business cards. Certainly, if you're not doing well professionally then printing business cards and handing them to all and sundry is not likely to turn your luck around. But they are a useful addition to a freelance translator's toolkit, in my opinion.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:45
Member (2016)
English to German
... Nov 15, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I have a bit of an aversion against people who do any sort of marketing.

But you have profiles on ProZ.com and lots of other sites, a CV, a website - so surely you're doing some sort of marketing yourself?

Yes, sorry, I was a bit unspecific.
I meant this in the context of a situation where you could hand someone a business card, i. e., face to face.
I don't like it when people try to sell me something in a direct conversation, looking into my eyes (unless I asked to be informed about a product, perhaps). And neither do I like to sell something in such a direct contact situation.

That's why I'm quite happy with this internet thingy

[Edited at 2017-11-16 07:24 GMT]

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:45
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Yes, thanks for reminding me! Nov 15, 2017

In today's Internet age, we often forget that there is often no substitute for physical objects. Business cards are valuable and practical resources. It's funny. Precisely because everything is so electronic today, I think that people value, and will value even more tomorrow, certain physical objects.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think today, in the Internet age, it is necessary to have business cards?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »