Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:55
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Less sophisticated than poetry Jun 19, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't think at all .

But your exemple is irrelevant (creative writing comprises also much less sophisticated communication than poetry). My initial concern was and is if ChatGPT is creative enough, or on its way to be creative enough, to threaten the position (or rates) of writers/translators of creative texts. That's a different perspective. You see, it doesn't need to be better than humans, it would already be enough that the result is close to have an impact on human translation/copywriting.

[Edited at 2023-06-19 14:29 GMT]

Don't understand what you mean. Sophisticated is not related to genre, but to audience. A marketing text or landing page may be in a highly sophisticated category, by your standards, when you have to figure out a trigger word, and how to position it, to influence someone's decision. No, GPT is not creative enough to provide high quality results fully independently.

Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mmmmm Jun 19, 2023

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

madeleines

mmmmmmmmmm

Rachel Fell

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Almost tea time... Jun 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

madeleines

mmmmmmmmmm

Madeleines

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Creativity?! Jun 19, 2023

How do I feel about AI? Literally petrified.

It’s too easy to pick apart ChatGPT’s creative efforts. For one, most communication is much more prosaic. For another, you could pick apart the work of most published authors just as easily.

More importantly, what is creativity? Are any of us creative? Even leaving aside the derivative nature of our work, I think not, in general.

I am a high-end translator paid way over the average to write well. But am I cre
... See more
How do I feel about AI? Literally petrified.

It’s too easy to pick apart ChatGPT’s creative efforts. For one, most communication is much more prosaic. For another, you could pick apart the work of most published authors just as easily.

More importantly, what is creativity? Are any of us creative? Even leaving aside the derivative nature of our work, I think not, in general.

I am a high-end translator paid way over the average to write well. But am I creative? Not really. I just rehash 50 years of reading what others write.

So I think most of us need to come back down to Earth.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Simon Turner
David GAY
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Liena Vijupe
Tony Keily

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Functional is a better word Jun 19, 2023

Not sure who brought up "creativity" in the thread, but to those unreasonably allergic to the word, the word functional would fit better.

A tool that is fully dependent on human input, check, audit and revision is not functional and will never be better than a human. I am already on Earth, and GPT is from another galaxy (nobody know which one as of yet). I think the galaxy is called "corporate profit" through large data churn.

P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ground control, tell Chris I'm heading back Jun 19, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

But am I creative? Not really. I just rehash 50 years of reading what others write.

So I think most of us need to come back down to Earth.

And those others rehash what others before them have been writing since forever. We all stand on the shoulders of giants, and there are only seven basic plots in storytelling.

I localise content, often I have to transcreate it, and I also dabble in content writing. I have to rack my brains in order to translate a niche perfume description way more than for the product manual of an electric radiant heater. An evocative text written in English ends up looking quite different in its Italian translation, whereas this is not the case for a technical text. They are both challenging, and both must be approached with attention to context and details, but the challenges are different.
But you all know this already.

Being a creative translator doesn't equal being a creative genius, which no one here claims to be. I'd love to be one, but I'd be writing the next Great European Novel in splendid isolation, instead of hanging out with you, lovely people.

Lingua 5B
Simon Turner
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
creativity Jun 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't think at all .

But your exemple is irrelevant (creative writing comprises also much less sophisticated communication than poetry). My initial concern was and is if ChatGPT is creative enough, or on its way to be creative enough, to threaten the position (or rates) of writers/translators of creative texts. That's a different perspective. You see, it doesn't need to be better than humans, it would already be enough that the result is close to have an impact on human translation/copywriting.

[Edited at 2023-06-19 14:29 GMT]

Don't understand what you mean. Sophisticated is not related to genre, but to audience. A marketing text or landing page may be in a highly sophisticated category, by your standards, when you have to figure out a trigger word, and how to position it, to influence someone's decision. No, GPT is not creative enough to provide high quality results fully independently.

https://medium.com/ethics-ai/chatgpt-steals-william-shakespeare-emily-dickinson-d9cb279e7001

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:55
Greek to English
Use it or lose it Jun 20, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Many years ago, I had a customer who had the bad habit of inventing abbreviations and acronyms, so I decided to start building a glossary, then during my years working in the EU the thing "blow up" and now I have a glossary with 493 pages (!!!???), written in Times New Roman 10…

Funnily enough, one of the things I find these new AI bots useful for - as I've mentioned in other forum discussions - is tracking down odd abbreviations and acronyms.

In fact you could boil down my feelings about developments in AI to this: it's a useful tool, but like all useful tools it can also be abused.

Christine Andersen
Ida Koczor
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Human abilities Jun 20, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Me: Write a short poem (1 verse) about a little mouse. I want three versions of the poem. Version 1: black emotional tone, Version 2: red emotional tone, Version 3: yellow emotional tone

(I've snipped the doggerel.)

As you can see, it used all the stereotypical elements from big data (black=darkness, red=passion, yellow=sun).

It shouldn't work that way. We should be able to see/perceive/feel black, red and yellow subtones without these stereotypes, but just by skilled phrasing and word manipulation. The stereotypes could work for junior beginner writers (10 year olds).

I agree with all you say. ChatGPT is not capable of writing decent poetry.

But how many people are capable of doing any better?

Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan
Liena Vijupe
Christopher Schröder
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Cross-fertilisation Jun 20, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I am a high-end translator paid way over the average to write well. But am I creative? Not really. I just rehash 50 years of reading what others write.

I beg to differ, Chris. Rehashing 50 years' worth of what other people have written is exactly what the large language model AIs do.

Human translators,on the hand, also incorporate their life experience from other fields, serendipitous occurrences of that day, or memories of things past that may not be directly relevant to the task at hand, but nevertheless will enhance the final result.

I'm not trying to over-romanticise the process, but it's something that's going on, whether we're consciously aware of it or not.

In other words, humans will use and incorporate inputs from outside the specified task, something that the AI - at least in its current incarnations - does not do.

P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Christopher Schröder

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Essence Jun 20, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

I think you hit the essence with your last sentence. It's not about if AI is capable of generating poetry or "creative" texts that equal or are better than human generated texts, but about the fact that it might be good enough or will become good enough to become a threat for the rates creative translators charge today. A bit like the situation with post-editing, in which MT has become good enough to speed up the translation process and therefore allows translators to lower their rates compared to conventional translation.

I know some of you will say that they will never use ChatGPT for their work, just like there are translators who say they will never use MT or at least won't lower their rates for MTPE, but that's not the point. The point is that others might (correction, will) and in doing so might affect the business.

Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
GPT Jun 20, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Me: Write a short poem (1 verse) about a little mouse. I want three versions of the poem. Version 1: black emotional tone, Version 2: red emotional tone, Version 3: yellow emotional tone

(I've snipped the doggerel.)

As you can see, it used all the stereotypical elements from big data (black=darkness, red=passion, yellow=sun).

It shouldn't work that way. We should be able to see/perceive/feel black, red and yellow subtones without these stereotypes, but just by skilled phrasing and word manipulation. The stereotypes could work for junior beginner writers (10 year olds).

Humans don’t claim they do, unlike GPT. GPT can do anything (not).

I am not sure why everyone is so fixated on poetry genre. I just wanted to demonstrate the GPT blandness. Doing so with poetry was totally random. Do you want me to do it with any other format?

I once did it on the forum, by asking GPT to translate a short passage into Croatian. The translation was extremely poor, much worse than GT.

[Edited at 2023-06-20 06:15 GMT]

Chris Spurgin
Chris Spurgin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Russian to English
+ ...
Vegan burgers, minidiscs, EVs Jun 20, 2023

It's just the latest Big Thing that journalists have given lots of free marketing to.

It could bring about some truly transformative benefits. There will be those who use it to produce tat. And there will be those who find ways of misusing it. And there will be those who don't use it or actively dislike it.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
One use for Chat GPT Jun 20, 2023

I don't know if this happens for other people, but in legal translations I sometimes need to jog my memory regarding some point in a given legal system - something in German inheritance law, Italian bankruptcy law, the Spanish Code of Civil Procedure, or whatever. Some little thing I'm familiar with but haven't had to deal with in a year or so.

I'm confident I can recognize the right answer, but it's going to take me a while to find a specific reference unless I know where it is in
... See more
I don't know if this happens for other people, but in legal translations I sometimes need to jog my memory regarding some point in a given legal system - something in German inheritance law, Italian bankruptcy law, the Spanish Code of Civil Procedure, or whatever. Some little thing I'm familiar with but haven't had to deal with in a year or so.

I'm confident I can recognize the right answer, but it's going to take me a while to find a specific reference unless I know where it is in my reference folders or online.

I've tried shooting a few questions at ChatGPT and I've found this saves time. I can tell whether the question's been understood and whether the answer is accurate. If I want to cross-check the answer, I can always do that.

At the end of its answer ChatGPT also admits that it's not a lawyer and is just doing its best for me. Almost touching!
Collapse

expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Free marketing? LOL Jun 20, 2023

Chris Spurgin wrote:

It's just the latest Big Thing that journalists have given lots of free marketing to.

It could bring about some truly transformative benefits. There will be those who use it to produce tat. And there will be those who find ways of misusing it. And there will be those who don't use it or actively dislike it.

Those were/are highly expensive campaigns. Whoever promotes GPT on their web site got big $$$$ to do so.

Yes, an example of "misusing it" is clients asking you to work for $5/day, because GPT is involved in the project and will make your life so much easier.

Liena Vijupe

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel about AI and LLM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »