Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
lower prices = more demand Apr 25, 2021

I wouldn't be so quick to say MT will destroy translators. It may be just the opposite, at least for the next few decades. If we can churn out more translation faster at a lower price at comparable quality, I would have strong reason to expect higher demand from customers. We could see new customers who suddenly decided that maybe they do want a translation since the prices have come down. There could be competition among companies in different sectors to get all their stuff translated due to t... See more
I wouldn't be so quick to say MT will destroy translators. It may be just the opposite, at least for the next few decades. If we can churn out more translation faster at a lower price at comparable quality, I would have strong reason to expect higher demand from customers. We could see new customers who suddenly decided that maybe they do want a translation since the prices have come down. There could be competition among companies in different sectors to get all their stuff translated due to the lower prices.

It could be a winning situation all around.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
. Apr 25, 2021

Edward Potter wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to say MT will destroy translators. It may be just the opposite, at least for the next few decades. If we can churn out more translation faster at a lower price at comparable quality, I would have strong reason to expect higher demand from customers. We could see new customers who suddenly decided that maybe they do want a translation since the prices have come down. There could be competition among companies in different sectors to get all their stuff translated due to the lower prices.

It could be a winning situation all around.

Nah.

That "potential customer" will just use an AR camera mode to MT whatever they want with their smartphone camera.

It's close enough.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Payment per hour

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »