Can we talk about SDL Trados NMT (neural machine translation), please?
Thread poster: S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:24
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2021

I've received a big-ish review project from a long-term, large agency client, and it turns out most of the project has been translated in Trados using the NMT feature (which I had never heard of!). The thing is, the quality is astounding, better than a lot of the human translations I've done reviews for, with some weird phrases here and there (but not more than a semi-inexperienced human translator). The language pair is CATALAN to English, which makes it even more impressive.

Why a
... See more
I've received a big-ish review project from a long-term, large agency client, and it turns out most of the project has been translated in Trados using the NMT feature (which I had never heard of!). The thing is, the quality is astounding, better than a lot of the human translations I've done reviews for, with some weird phrases here and there (but not more than a semi-inexperienced human translator). The language pair is CATALAN to English, which makes it even more impressive.

Why aren't we talking about this and why have I never heard of this?

What are your experiences?

Has the time finally come that it's actually worth doing MT post-editing?

(I expect some controversy here, but this quality is amazing, we need to address this as a profession).
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Gerard Barry
Yaotl Altan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Isn't that just a huge shared translation memory? Jun 19, 2021

Some typical (read: already translated pretty much as-is) texts get beautiful results from MT+TM-type systems.

The fact that this works well in Catalan to English shouldn't be all that shocking. Most small population European languages now have multiple decent MT options.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:24
English to Russian
What is it called? Jun 19, 2021

Can you tell us its name? The only NMT for Trados I know of is OPUS CAT MT. It uses your own TM for generating NMT. I mean that you can take a model from OPUS CAT, then train (fine-tune) it using your TM and get pretty good result with sentences built in your own language and using your own phrases. It is distributed for free, to my surprise (maybe because it is not that straightforward in use as Google API or other MT engines where you just need to check a box), but it looks real promising, at ... See more
Can you tell us its name? The only NMT for Trados I know of is OPUS CAT MT. It uses your own TM for generating NMT. I mean that you can take a model from OPUS CAT, then train (fine-tune) it using your TM and get pretty good result with sentences built in your own language and using your own phrases. It is distributed for free, to my surprise (maybe because it is not that straightforward in use as Google API or other MT engines where you just need to check a box), but it looks real promising, at least for English>Russian translations.
Update: And I forgot to mention that OPUS CAT MT engine is fully offline. It does not need internet connection, which means that you don't need to send your top secret information to any outer sites or locations.

[Edited at 2021-06-19 20:15 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:24
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just looked into that... Jun 19, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Can you tell its name? The only NMT for Trados I know of is OPUS CAT MT. It uses your own TM for generating NMT. I mean that you can take a model from OPUS CAT, then train (fine-tune) it using your TM and get pretty good result with sentences built in your own language and using your own phrases. It is distributed for free, to my surprise (maybe because it is not that straightforward in use as Google API or other MT engines where you just need to check a box), but it looks real promising, at least for English>Russian translations.

So it's apparently RWS's proprietary software, called Language Weaver (as I'm sure most of you will remember, RWS acquired SDL in 2020).

Apparently all 2021 SDL Trados users get 500,000 characters of this feature per month by default, here's a how-to I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dxn8LRgR8&ab_channel=Trados

And Adieu, based on this, I wouldn't say it was a collective TM. Looks like an MT engine (although where they got the data, I don't know)?

[Edited at 2021-06-19 20:53 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:24
English to Russian
Got used to another solution Jun 19, 2021

My Trados used to emit an error stating that I don't have internet connection when it was not true. I gave up fixing it and abandoned the idea of even trying any internet-based RWS/SDL solution.* Anyway, there are other options for me to get the same result offline.

*Not because they are somewhat bad or poorly designed but just because I already had my favorite solution for that (3rd-party MT utility, free and unlimited in word count) long before they released theirs.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can we talk about SDL Trados NMT (neural machine translation), please?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »