Does the use of DeepL have to be indicated for the translation of academic texts
Thread poster: JakH
JakH
JakH
Local time: 00:06
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2022

Dear all,

I am checking a deepl translation of an academic article and was asked to find out whether the use of deepl has to be mentioned anywhere in this case. Please only comment on the question at hand and not on the questionable use of deepl in a setting for which it is unsuitable.
Thanks very much in advance.
Julia

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Why? Apr 11, 2022

JakH wrote:

Dear all,

I am checking a deepl translation of an academic article and was asked to find out whether the use of deepl has to be mentioned anywhere in this case. Please only comment on the question at hand and not on the questionable use of deepl in a setting for which it is unsuitable.
Thanks very much in advance.
Julia

"....was asked to find out whether the use of deepl has to be mentioned anywhere in this case."

Why would the use of Deepl have to be mentioned when you already knew that you were checking *a Deepl translation*?

Baran Keki

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@JakH Apr 11, 2022

JakH wrote:
I was asked to find out whether the use of DeepL [in an academic article] has to be mentioned anywhere.

This depends on whether the checked translation qualifies as a "human translation". If the author/publisher used DeepL and only had it checked very superficially, i.e. if the translation is still potentially incorrect specifically due to the fact that DeepL was used, then I my personal opinion as a non-academian would be: yes, definitely, the publisher must add in a reasonably prominent place that the article is a machine-translation (no need to mention DeepL).

However, if after you have checked the translation and edited it and made it definitely error-free, then there is no need to mention that a machine was used as one of the steps of the translation process. Even if the style of the translation is terrible as a result of using machine translation, what matters is whether the translation has been made "error-free". A warning that a text is a machine translation is only necessary if it is necessary to warn the reader that the text may contain translation errors.

[Edited at 2022-04-11 08:04 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 11, 2022

In my opinion, the potential readers need to be advised of that. It's an important point of courtesy, just like the century-old "Dictated but not read".

Joakim Braun

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Questions Apr 11, 2022

JakH wrote:
was asked to find out whether the use of deepl has to be mentioned anywhere in this case.
Julia

Where does the client expect the fact to be mentioned? To whom should it be mentioned?

Tom in London

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@jyuan_us Apr 11, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:
Where does the client expect the fact to be mentioned? To whom should it be mentioned?

To whom? To the reader. And where? Well, what would you suggest? I would not be surprised to find it at the very end of the article, though personally I would prefer to have it directly underneath the title. Or in the opening paragraph.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What for? For what? Apr 11, 2022

Promoting DeepL? Or does DeepL require a copyright statement when you use it?

The whole thing is just beyond me.

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
It's a warning Apr 12, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

Just the opposite. Warning the end client that an inadequate tool has been used for translation, and asking to bear with potential errors.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I see what you mean Apr 12, 2022

Anton Konashenok wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Just the opposite. Warning the end client that an inadequate tool has been used for translation, and asking to bear with potential errors.

So, I take it to be a disclaimer. In that case, why does the OP need to "check" it in the first place?

[Edited at 2022-04-12 12:22 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Checking or correcting? Apr 12, 2022

JakH wrote:

Dear all,

I am checking a deepl translation of an academic article and was asked to find out whether the use of deepl has to be mentioned anywhere in this case.
Julia

It all depends on the work you've put into editing the machine translation. If you've edited out all the errors, there is no need to mention the process. If you've just checked the spelling or the numbers, a clear warning at the beginning of the text is necessary.

Cheers,
Gerard

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Editing out ALL the errors? Really? Apr 12, 2022

Gerard de Noord wrote:

If you've edited out ALL the errors

That's a very cavalier assumption even for editing a human translation, and considerably more so for MT, which produces some totally counterintuitive errors.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sigh Apr 13, 2022

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Gerard de Noord wrote:

If you've edited out ALL the errors

That's a very cavalier assumption even for editing a human translation, and considerably more so for MT, which produces some totally counterintuitive errors.

If humans can't edit out ALL the errors in machine translations, we'll just have to wait untill the machines do it themselves.

Thanks for your very constructive post.

Cheers,
Gerard

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Does the use of DeepL have to be indicated for the translation of academic texts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »