Thread poster: Nicole Pemberton
Nicole Pemberton
Nicole Pemberton
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
English to French
+ ...
May 17, 2022

Has anyone ever attended a paid Memoq training course and if so, can they recommend a course for beginners?
I have just seen a UCL one day course advertised and am thinking about registering.....

There seems to be no manual to work from and although the on line tutorials are good, I find it difficult to make a logical progression ...

Thank you for any feedback/recommendation

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Before you jump May 17, 2022

Nicole Pemberton wrote:
There seems to be no manual to work from and although the on line tutorials are good, I find it difficult to make a logical progression ...

I can recommend the free online webinars by Angelika Zerfass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KGkCxPHL9s
Before I watched it, MemoQ made no sense to me. After, I was able to use MemoQ as productively as Trados.

I once paid $250 for a one-day workshop about MemoQ (pre-pandemic) and there were 20 participants. After 5 hours, we had covered the history of CAT tools, how to install MemoQ and how to create a project... and that's it. And that's not the worst of it: most of the participants gave the workshop a high review rating, waxing lyrical about how useful it was. I honestly think some people go to these types of courses for the social interaction only (and workshop presenters know this and consider the workshop a success if everyone had swapped at least one cake recipe).

It seems obvious to say it, but find out beforehand what topics will be covered in the "training".

expressisverbis
George Luca
Ekaterina Verma
Adieu
Stepan Konev
Antonio Santos

Nicole Pemberton
Nicole Pemberton
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memoq May 17, 2022

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback - I have watched 2 of her online webinars already and found them very good indeed - I totally agree re workshops and will check covered topics beforehand - Thanks again

Jane Bonnin-Wright
Jane Bonnin-Wright  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:13
French to English
+ ...
Trying to choose a CAT tool May 18, 2022

Thank you for your comments on MemoQ. I've been wondering if it's my best option or not. I'll check out the videos you suggested, to get a better idea.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Comparing Jul 28, 2022

Jane Bonnin-Wright wrote:

Thank you for your comments on MemoQ. I've been wondering if it's my best option or not. I'll check out the videos you suggested, to get a better idea.

I’ve started working on series where I make an “overview” video about a desktop CAT (pricing strategy, general overview) and then make a “Getting started” video to show how a total beginner could start working with the tool. When I’m done, I’ll do a roundup summary. This is taking me a while (it’s a lot of work)…
The memoQ overview video is published on Robert Gebhardt channel and the getting started video is released on my channel.
memoQ overview: https://youtu.be/AhQvHMS5IzA
getting started part 1: https://youtu.be/tjjaYr3cqqE
getting started part 2: https://youtu.be/cOoNrwxvtqs
Depending on your knowledge level you may find this useful.

My bests

Ricardo Sandy Aries
expressisverbis

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memoq Training

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »