Thread poster: Nevena Anguelova
Nevena Anguelova
Nevena Anguelova
Spain
Local time: 18:19
Bulgarian to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2022

I've found out a completely new world starting up in the field of MTPE. I've received the guidelines, I've agreed on the rate per hour, I've tried OneForma, but I still have no idea of what TimeBuddy is. I've followed the steps on how to run the timer and I've just started translating hits in OneForma. I can't find anything on the internet about TimeBuddy. I don't know how to use that 'thing'. Any help would be appreciated.

Y si alguien me puede enviar algún tutorial en español,
... See more
I've found out a completely new world starting up in the field of MTPE. I've received the guidelines, I've agreed on the rate per hour, I've tried OneForma, but I still have no idea of what TimeBuddy is. I've followed the steps on how to run the timer and I've just started translating hits in OneForma. I can't find anything on the internet about TimeBuddy. I don't know how to use that 'thing'. Any help would be appreciated.

Y si alguien me puede enviar algún tutorial en español, se lo agradecería muchísimo.

Thank you, buddies.

[Edited at 2022-08-26 21:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-08-26 21:03 GMT]
Collapse

Lisa Gratwick
Lisa Gratwick  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
An extension... Aug 29, 2022

Hi,

I am using it too, probably for a similar project. It is an extension that works as a time tracker in the background when you are working on oneforma and other platforms-apps, you can find it in the Google toolbar "extensions" and turn it on and off, so for me for instance, the client tells me to turn it on for certain projects and to turn it off for other projects. You can probably ask the client to send you the instructions for how to download and activate Timebuddy. Basical
... See more
Hi,

I am using it too, probably for a similar project. It is an extension that works as a time tracker in the background when you are working on oneforma and other platforms-apps, you can find it in the Google toolbar "extensions" and turn it on and off, so for me for instance, the client tells me to turn it on for certain projects and to turn it off for other projects. You can probably ask the client to send you the instructions for how to download and activate Timebuddy. Basically, with this tool, the client will only be paying us for when we are actively producing, forget grabbing a quick cup of coffee for instance;) It is very Orwellian. )
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nevena Aug 29, 2022

Nevena Anguelova wrote:
I can't find anything on the internet about TimeBuddy.

Most hits on Google for "TimeBuddy" is for a world clock converter, but I did find an Apple app called "Time Buddy" which is a timer app. Many colleagues recommend Toggl Track. It's available as an Android and Apple mobile app, a browser-based app, and a desktop tracker for Windows and Mac.

However, it is possible that you client requires you to use "Time Buddy" because they prefer the types of reports that Time Buddy put out. Toggl Track also creates reports, and I've had one client require that I submit the Toggl Track reports to them, for payment purposes. It's best that you ask your client for the URL of this "Time Buddy". I'm always amazed how some clients just assume that everyone else in the world are in the same search engine bubble as they are.

[Edited at 2022-08-29 08:56 GMT]

Nevena Anguelova
Nevena Anguelova
Spain
Bulgarian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But how does it work...? Sep 1, 2022

Thank you, guys,

I know what the extention is, but I don't know how it is supposed to work. I don't understand how the work load is measured, counted...

Lisa, do you perform any action in TimeBuddy after completing a task? I'm not sure the client is receiving my working time... So I'm not sure I'll be paid for...

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
What the heck? Sep 2, 2022

Is this some program for giving your client further discounts because you work "too fast"?

If so, that's horrifying. I would have rage quit long ago if jobs billed as X hours... actually took X hours.

Jean Dimitriadis
Irene Lyngs

Irene Lyngs
Irene Lyngs  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to Danish
You might only get paid for typing Sep 3, 2022

I was asked to use TimeBuddy earlier this year by a client I do not work for that often.
Like you I tried to find out more about it, but I did not really find much.
I was already a bit suspicious since this customer was very keen on an hourly rate instead of a price per word for translation.

After installing it and working with it, I very soon realised that it only calculates the time you are "actively working" (typing and clicking around to confirm a segment and similar
... See more
I was asked to use TimeBuddy earlier this year by a client I do not work for that often.
I was already a bit suspicious since this customer was very keen on an hourly rate instead of a price per word for translation.

After installing it and working with it, I very soon realised that it only calculates the time you are "actively working" (typing and clicking around to confirm a segment and similar), and this agency would only pay the time that was registered by TimeBuddy.
So no payment for research (they actually confirmed this) and no payment for taking a moment to think....

For my part I refused this way of working, translation is about more than typing, obviously. Instead I demanded to be paid per word, and still do if this customer offers me "TimeBuddy"-tasks.
Alternatively, you can of course ask for a higher hourly rate, which reflects that you are only paid for the minutes, in which you are typing.

[Edited at 2022-09-03 08:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-09-03 08:30 GMT]
Collapse

Nevena Anguelova
Adieu
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Roshan Perera
Heather Fremont

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
How does it count? Sep 4, 2022

Is this activity every however many seconds with mouse or keyboard or else it thinks you're AFK/AWOL?

Within only a certain program (like your CAT tool) or anywhere on the PC?

Or does it think only rabid high-WPM typing qualifies?

But in any case, that is some crazy eSweatshop nonsense.

Irene Lyngs wrote:

After installing it and working with it, I very soon realised that it only calculates the time you are "actively working" (typing and clicking around to confirm a segment and similar), and this agency would only pay the time that was registered by TimeBuddy.
So no payment for research (they actually confirmed this) and no payment for taking a moment to think....

For my part I refused this way of working, translation is about more than typing, obviously. Instead I demanded to be paid per word, and still do if this customer offers me "TimeBuddy"-tasks.
Alternatively, you can of course ask for a higher hourly rate, which reflects that you are only paid for the minutes, in which you are typing.

[Edited at 2022-09-03 08:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-09-03 08:30 GMT]

Heather Fremont

Nevena Anguelova
Nevena Anguelova
Spain
Bulgarian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is linked to OneForma Sep 4, 2022

I think it only counts when you are typing in OneForma. When you are browsing on the internet for research it counts as a break, when you start typing again it resumes the count.
This is an example of what it counts...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adieu Sep 5, 2022

Adieu wrote:
Is this some program for giving your client further discounts because you work "too fast"?

I think this is normal for jobs that pay by the hour. Both client and service provider assume that the translator is working at an "optimal speed". If the translator actually works faster (and thus gets more work done), he should convince his client to pay him more per hour because the end-amount would be similar. But most experienced clients are not stupid and they know that there is a certain "expected speed" that a translator will work at if he doesn't want to get a burn-out.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nevana Sep 5, 2022

Nevena Anguelova wrote:
I think it only counts when you are typing in the editing program. When you are browsing on the internet for research, it counts as a break, [and] when you start typing again it resumes the count.

Right, so the time keeping software must be able to detect when you're in the OneForma window and when you're in a different window. This isn't difficult to program, although I suspect some more primitive time keeping software relies on the user to start and stop the timer. When using a self-detecting tool, you should also remember to minimize or click away from the editing program, otherwise the timer will think you're actually working and just thinking very long. It may even be that some time keeping sofware can detect both the window that you're in and whether you are typing or not.

Marek Tulipan
Marek Tulipan  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2023)
English to Polish
+ ...
My advice is: don't go for it. Feb 23, 2023

I have worked a few days on an MTPE project in OneForma where this extension was used.
Then I have calculated the number of hours this TimeBuddy counted * the hourly rate : words processed.
The outcome?
My actual rate per word was less than half of what I got in another OneForma MTPE project when I was paid per word.
I feel simply duped.
Never again (unless someone is going to offer an hourly rate of at least 40 EUR).

Heather Fremont
Silvia Prendin

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

TimeBuddy

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »