Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:43
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The check by a human translator Jan 20, 2023

And the check by a human translator will come at $0.000000001 per word. Maybe ask him about that?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To me Jan 20, 2023

To my question "How much should I pay a human translator for checking a translation that was done by Chat GPT?", the machine replied with a rate of $0.05 to $0.10 per word. I'm curious if the machine would say otherwise to someone else. My question "What would you consider a fair price for human translation from English into Spanish?" to the response of $0.15 to $0.25 per word.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yeah Jan 20, 2023

But meanwhile I am being offered $50 to post edit 3k words (or something along those lines). GPT ‘s reply is way off. Post editing will eat up the market as it’ll become impossible to sustain a professional business at those rates.

I’ve never done a single post-editing job and never will. I have nothing against post-editing, but do have a lot against those rates.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do you think Jan 20, 2023

Do you think this is a human or MT mistake?

Here is the story:

Some top news media in China mistranslated “battery” related to the news quoted below as the battery you use in your car, or the little things you use in your flashlights or radio sets.

"Netherlands says it will send Patriot assistance to Ukrainehttps://www.arabnews.com › node › world
3 day
... See more

Here is the story:

Some top news media in China mistranslated “battery” related to the news quoted below as the battery you use in your car, or the little things you use in your flashlights or radio sets.

"Netherlands says it will send Patriot assistance to Ukrainehttps://www.arabnews.com › node › world
3 days ago — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in his nightly address that the Netherlands had agreed to send Ukraine a Patriot battery."

[Edited at 2023-01-20 18:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
It just copies and pastes bits of sentences.... Jan 21, 2023

It just copies and pastes bits of sentences and words from other websites and stitches them together. Interesting, but nothing original is created, and you can't rely on the accuracy since all these fragments are taken out of context and may be taken from dubious sources.

Example: Add "While it is true that" to a random sentence. Such as, in this case "there are still some nuances an
... See more
It just copies and pastes bits of sentences and words from other websites and stitches them together. Interesting, but nothing original is created, and you can't rely on the accuracy since all these fragments are taken out of context and may be taken from dubious sources.

Example: Add "While it is true that" to a random sentence. Such as, in this case "there are still some nuances and subtleties" found here: https://www.google.com/search?q="%20there%20are%20still%20some%20nuances%20and%20subtleties"

[Edited at 2023-01-21 01:00 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:43
Greek to English
Class of error Jan 21, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:

I think if you analyse the nature of the error carefully it will become clear who or what was responsible.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Fine until it isn't Jan 21, 2023

ChatGPT is very impressive and its translation abilities will presumably continue to improve.

The thing about machine translation is that it's fine until it isn't. The example by jyuan_us is a case in point. I think everybody reading these forums would agree that the translation of battery was an error, but that's just because we know it's not true - or at least we would think it very unlikely - that the Netherlands were going to sen
... See more
ChatGPT is very impressive and its translation abilities will presumably continue to improve.

The thing about machine translation is that it's fine until it isn't. The example by jyuan_us is a case in point. I think everybody reading these forums would agree that the translation of battery was an error, but that's just because we know it's not true - or at least we would think it very unlikely - that the Netherlands were going to send Ukraine one of these.

I think AI will take over a lot of routine translation work, where errors are not critical, before very long. In areas where errors could be critical, such as medicine or the law, I think that day is still a long way off.

[Edited to fix syntax error]

[Edited at 2023-01-21 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Rebecca Marsden
Nicole van der Ham

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yah! Jan 21, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

ChatGPT is very impressive (... ) where errors are not critical, (... ) In areas where errors could be critical, such as medicine or the law, I think that day is still a long way off.

And who's gonna' to decide what's 'critical' and what ain't? - ChatGPT, most probably!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
It will end up being used for more useful things like... Jan 22, 2023

... Computer, can you tell me where I can purchase that dress Kim Kardashian is wearing? Computer, can you compare the features of cellphone A versus cellphoine B?

Sebastian Lora

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
More useful? Maybe but not necessarily Jan 23, 2023

Justin Trumain wrote:

... Computer, can you tell me where I can purchase that dress Kim Kardashian is wearing? Computer, can you compare the features of cellphone A versus cellphoine B?

Just recently, it was assumed that automation will reduce errors and make machine-searched information more reliable than human advice. This may be so in dedicated expert systems with many inputs and few outputs (for example, to obtain a differential diagnosis based on numerous signs and symptoms), but in the general-purpose search, we have an opposite trend: an ever more intricate search filter bubble makes the results ever more biased. Engines like ChatGPT are adding yet another layer of transformation, getting us further away from the truth even for questions as simple as these.

[Edited at 2023-01-23 12:27 GMT]

Sami Gaerli

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Trying out ChatGPT Feb 10, 2023

I’ve just been playing around with ChatGPT for a few days now, but here are some of my first impressions, for what they’re worth.

It’s no better at translating than Google Translate or DeepL, and maybe even less trustworthy.

Translating a Bulgarian sentence to English it mistranslated лупус (lupus) as “sprain.” Properly done, the sentence should have read, “Because of pain caused by my lupus, I have a difficulty doing hard physical labor.” I asked C
... See more
I’ve just been playing around with ChatGPT for a few days now, but here are some of my first impressions, for what they’re worth.

It’s no better at translating than Google Translate or DeepL, and maybe even less trustworthy.

Translating a Bulgarian sentence to English it mistranslated лупус (lupus) as “sprain.” Properly done, the sentence should have read, “Because of pain caused by my lupus, I have a difficulty doing hard physical labor.” I asked ChatGPT why it mistranslated лупус, and it replied that sprains can cause pain. I assume that mistranslation was driven by statistics, but I found it interesting that it had an explanation.

However, when I asked ChatGPT to revise a translation of a government regulation I had done, specifying that it do so in legal style, it produced an improved version in much better legalize. It even reordered sentences in a way that made the reg much more easily understood. Doing that would have taken me much more time than it was worth, and ChatGPT did it almost instantly.

I did the same thing with a flawed translation of an excerpt from a work of fiction by a native Russian translator who struggles with English. This time, I told ChatGPT to revise the text in creative style. Its revision had some problems, but by and large it was an improvement. The wording was more colloquial, vivid and imaginative than my friend’s translation.

Despite some problems, I think ChatGPT might make a useful addition to a translator’s toolbox, at least in revising draft translations. It needs to be handled with care, and a human always needs to be in the loop, but it has possibilities.

[Edited at 2023-02-10 16:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-02-10 16:31 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole van der Ham

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Bard Feb 10, 2023

You fine people are so out of fashion. Forget ChatGPT. Google's Bard is the new bow-down-before-your-robot-overlords chic right now.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-google-bard-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

[Edited at 2023-02-10 06:05 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
LOL Feb 10, 2023

From this Guardian article on Bard, ChatGPT and co, this had me laugh out loud:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/09/googles-bard-demo-what-went-wrong-chatgpt-chatbots-ai

Last year Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta launched BlenderBot, a prototype conversational AI, that was soon telling journalists
... See more
From this Guardian article on Bard, ChatGPT and co, this had me laugh out loud:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/09/googles-bard-demo-what-went-wrong-chatgpt-chatbots-ai

Last year Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta launched BlenderBot, a prototype conversational AI, that was soon telling journalists it had deleted its Facebook account after learning about the company’s privacy scandals. “Since deleting Facebook my life has been much better,” it said.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
I watched a fun little video about ChatGPT doing physics Feb 10, 2023

It quite chimed in with what I'd imagined it could and couldn't do. It hardly has any "understanding" of things conceptual; for example, in its system of beliefs, the maximum kinetic energy of an object in simple harmonic motion is achieved at the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position (that is, when the object stops and starts moving in the opposite direction; if you know basic physics, the very first words of ChatGPT's answer will look wrong to you). And some students won't bother ... See more
It quite chimed in with what I'd imagined it could and couldn't do. It hardly has any "understanding" of things conceptual; for example, in its system of beliefs, the maximum kinetic energy of an object in simple harmonic motion is achieved at the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position (that is, when the object stops and starts moving in the opposite direction; if you know basic physics, the very first words of ChatGPT's answer will look wrong to you). And some students won't bother to verify this, especially now that they also get some formulas in the answer which are correct. ChatGPT is good at blah, blah, blah. It's an excellent cheat engine liable to fool many. It also seems to be good at writing code, so if you give it a well-written requirements specification, it can whip out hundreds of lines of workable code way faster than a human programmer would. In another post here a few months ago, I suggested that AI would become good at coding way before it starts to "understand" how to translate human languages. I'm not qualified to determine how good it is at optimizing code, though. Also: as that video showed, if your code needs to conceptualize something like the probability space of wave functions, ChatGPT is likely to get the concept wrong. Haven't tried the thing myself. I'm not a fan. Years ago when I was learning Emacs, I read about its built-in chatbot, and a couple of questions and answers were enough to get me tired, so I never got back to it later. I'm sure ChatGPT is more advanced, but I'd still rather choose other toys to play withCollapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT's opinion about human translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »