Claudia Brauer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:46
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 24, 2023

DEEPL

This is a forum for questions and answers directly related to Claudia Brauer's webinar "Learn how to use DeepL Machine Translation".

Gustaf Eriksson

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question: When will DeepL support Arabic? Mar 24, 2023

Answer found on their website: "the DeepL Translate App supports 26 languages at the moment. We are working on adding more languages."
I understand from this that they are working on adding more languages but not specifically Arabic, though they might....Just keep checking to see when they do it. Make sure you write to them and ask for it!
Email: [email protected]

Here are some of the many academic articles I found
... See more
Answer found on their website: "the DeepL Translate App supports 26 languages at the moment. We are working on adding more languages."
I understand from this that they are working on adding more languages but not specifically Arabic, though they might....Just keep checking to see when they do it. Make sure you write to them and ask for it!
Email: [email protected]

Here are some of the many academic articles I found on the challenges holding back progress in this area:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cin/2018/7534712/
and
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.556.2851&rep=rep1&type=pdf
and
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220419125_Symbolic-to-statistical_hybridization_Extending_generation-heavy_machine_translation

[Edited at 2023-03-24 05:48 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "Where do I find the cost of lifetime license?" Mar 24, 2023

A: DeepL is not offering a lifetime license.

[Edited at 2023-03-24 05:27 GMT]

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "How does DeepL synchronize MT translations with your translation memories?" Mar 24, 2023

Answer from their site: "...translations will be saved in your translation memories automatically for future use."

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "Does DeepL have access to the content of your glossary?" Mar 24, 2023

A: From their site
“DeepL Pro subscribers’ glossary entries are saved in persistent storage to guarantee cross-platform ubiquity, whereas free users’ entries are only stored in the browser’s local storage.”
See more at https://www.deepl.com/en/pro-data-security/

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: Does the use of DeepL fall within the scope of confidentiality agreements we sign with LSP?" Mar 24, 2023

A:
DeepL meets most confidentiality criteria for many LSPs and clients, but I cannot ascertain each case in particular. As LSPs start using MT and hiring PEMT, the confidentiality agreements will incorporate more information as to how you should act. The owner of the information first gives agency to the LSP, so it is the LSP who must ensure confidentiality. You are given agency by the LSP on behalf of their client, so you must comply with client+LSP confidentiality rules. This topic of c
... See more
A:
DeepL meets most confidentiality criteria for many LSPs and clients, but I cannot ascertain each case in particular. As LSPs start using MT and hiring PEMT, the confidentiality agreements will incorporate more information as to how you should act. The owner of the information first gives agency to the LSP, so it is the LSP who must ensure confidentiality. You are given agency by the LSP on behalf of their client, so you must comply with client+LSP confidentiality rules. This topic of confidentiality and privacy is extremely important!
*Side note* Although not specific to DeepL in particular, but rather related to privacy in general, I suggest everyone review the practices described under
https://www.proz.com/securepro/security-practices/list
Collapse

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "How good is DeepL with reading and formatting PDF files?" Mar 24, 2023

A: They have teamed up with Adobe, so it is supposed to be a mirror of the original (to the best of a machine’s ability)
See https://www.deepl.com/en/blog/deepl-pdf-files-translation

[Edited at 2023-03-24 05:26 GMT]

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "Could you repeat the explanation of what API is?" Mar 24, 2023

Answer: API is the acronym for "Application Programming Interface," which is a "software intermediary that allows two applications to talk to each other.”
(The go-between one software, i.e., the MT engine’s, and another softwar, i.e., your CAT tool).

[Edited at 2023-03-24 05:26 GMT]

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "What if the client asks us to work for them online within their tool on their site?" Mar 24, 2023

Answer: ADAPT.
This type of request is going to become more and more prevalent (as has happened with CAT tools, where each client may use a different one); as the larger clients start using and experimenting with different MT engines and have their MT engines learning curves, they will feed information to their MT and will want you to use their systems.
Learn to adapt fast to new environments.

[Edited at 2023-03-24 05:25 GMT]

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "Does the formatting in machine translation also work with certificates?" Mar 24, 2023

A:
It will mirror the formatting of the original (when translating “full documents”).
Whenever it does not, you can edit it (in the paid version).
If you are uploading to your CAT, it will follow whatever your CAT’s formatting outputs.

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "I don't see the whole-document option on the free version. Where can I find it?" Mar 24, 2023

A: The whole document option is also available in the free version right next to “Text” where it says "Translate Files"

Translat files

If you still don’t see it, send me a screenshot at [email protected] and I will try to see what is missing.

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "How effective is DeepL with legal translations?" Mar 24, 2023

A: It is rather good in the most common European language combinations but even in these, you should do some tests in your specific language pair. Legalese is very different from plain language and includes lengthy and complex sentences, wordiness and redundancy, conjoined phrases, unusual sentence structure, impersonal constructions, and poor word choices, to name but a few obstacles for the engine.
Maybe post-editing of legal documents could be a very nice niche to work on!

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: Can your DeepL glossary be applied if you upload a document to DeepL for translation?" Mar 24, 2023

A: “Yes, you can upload glossaries in the web translator and the DeepL for Windows / Mac app”

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: Some limitations of the free version Mar 24, 2023

Q: "I see two limitations to the free version, my CAT-tool asks DeepL API to work together, and the free version doesn't maintain text formatting."
A:
1. Yes, you need a DeepL API to work with your CAT tool. You get the info with your subscription to the paid version.
2. Free version does maintain text formatting if you copy-paste “onto” your original formatting.
3. Full document translation also preserves formatting.

Claudia Brauer
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Q: "Why use DeepL if you're using a CAT?" Mar 24, 2023

A:
Because “DeepL's translations are accessed immediately, within your CAT tool interface.” You can get an MT on all segments not translated by your CAT tool and even if you find a segment you already translated, the MT might trigger your brain to an even better translation than you had before. Your CAT will use ITS memories first if you tell it to do so.

Lillian van den Broeck

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"Learn how to use DeepL Machine Translation" - Q&A after webinar

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »