Cost of using MT
Thread poster: Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:21
Portuguese to English
Jun 8, 2023

Can anybody enlighten me plse as to the likely cost of using Google or Microsoft (or indeed any other) MT (for integration with a tool like Wordfast Pro). Have looked at the Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure sites but am confused about (i) what the cost would be to use such an MT tool and (ii) how to actually go about using it.
Would appreciate any light that can be thrown on the topic.
Many tks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Google Translate Jun 9, 2023

Colin Bowles wrote:
Can anybody enlighten me please as to the likely cost of using Google or Microsoft (or indeed any other) MT (for integration with a tool like Wordfast Pro).

As far as I know, to calculate the Google Translate costs in USD, take the number of characters and divide it by 50 000. So, a text of 5 000 characters will cost you USD 5 000/50 000 = USD 0.10 i.e. 10 cents.

[Edited at 2023-06-09 07:07 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Makes you think... Jun 9, 2023

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Colin Bowles wrote:
So, a text of 5 000 characters will cost you USD 5 000/50 000 = USD 0.10 i.e. 10 cents.

[Edited at 2023-06-09 07:07 GMT]

In other words, the actual cost is somewhere around 1/100th of a cent per word. Compare that to the several cents' per word worth of discount (i.e., a several-hundred-fold markup) that agencies want you to relinquish for them helpfully pretranslating the file with MT suggestions.

ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd

Colin Bowles
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google translate - low volume - zero cost? Jun 9, 2023

Tks for the replies. What wasn't clear to me was whether in fact with Google translate if in a given month the cost would be USD 0,00 if the volume of characters was very low. Can anyone confirm that?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Google Cloud Translation Jun 9, 2023

It's on their website:

https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing

NMT model:
First 500,000 characters* per month = Free (applied as $10 credit every month)
500,000 to 1 billion characters* per month = $20 per million characters

Colin Bowles
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
MT - Google Translator pricing - in practice Jun 9, 2023

Yes, I saw that on the website. However, my concern was to get confirmation from someone who actually uses MT that the pricing does in fact work that way. I was advised by someone else that they moved from Google Translator because they were hit with surprise, high charges.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...

I use Google Translate a lot... a lot.

In the past 4 years, I paid USD 82 in total. But 2019 was an outlier... in the past 3 years, I paid USD 23 in total.

According to the billing page, my usage per year was:
2022: USD 57 actual usage; actually paid: USD 0.00
2021: USD 93 actual usage; actually paid: USD 20.00
2020: USD 81 actual usage; actually paid: USD 3.30
2019: USD 99 actual usage; actually paid: USD 85.00

I'm not sure what ha
... See more

In the past 4 years, I paid USD 82 in total. But 2019 was an outlier... in the past 3 years, I paid USD 23 in total.

I'm not sure what happened in 2019. The pricing structure did change in around November 2019... could that explain it? My monthly invoices prior to 2020 showed an average amount of USD 5 to USD 8, but my monthly invoiced after that date were all very low, often less than once dollar, and I think I use Google Translate just as frequently.

Before November 2019, there was a free tier of 500 000 characters, but after November 2019 you just received USD 10 credit per month (which is good for 500 000 characters). So... perhaps I somehow didn't use the free tier. Perhaps the free tier was for the statistical engine only, while I used only the neural engine.

[Edited at 2023-06-09 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Zero value invoices Jun 9, 2023

When I used Google Translate, I'd get zero value invoices every now and then. In fact, a whole series of my most recent invoices had zero value. Don't know why. I definitely used the solution during the respective months. That thing is no longer working where I am, but I didn't lose much. I use a free solution that's only marginally more stupid than Google Translate, works alright for what I want to delegate to MT

Colin Bowles
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks for that. Interesting...It would seem to suggest that the pricing is less than transparent...

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not sure what happened in 2019. The pricing structure did change in around November 2019... could that explain it? My monthly invoices prior to 2020 showed an average amount of USD 5 to USD 8, but my monthly invoiced after that date were all very low, often less than once dollar, and I think I use Google Translate just as frequently.

Before November 2019, there was a free tier of 500 000 characters, but after November 2019 you just received USD 10 credit per month (which is good for 500 000 characters). So... perhaps I somehow didn't use the free tier. Perhaps the free tier was for the statistical engine only, while I used only the neural engine.

[Edited at 2023-06-09 19:45 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Cost of using MT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »