Context Match vs. PerfectMatch
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:31
Finnish to French
Jan 12, 2012

The Studio Freelance page at translationzone.com (http://translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-freelance/default.asp ) talks about Context Match:

RevleX™ translation memory (TM) engine
A ground-breaking TM engine which delivers a host of time-saving features such as Context Match, improved concorda
... See more
The Studio Freelance page at translationzone.com (http://translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-freelance/default.asp ) talks about Context Match:

RevleX™ translation memory (TM) engine
A ground-breaking TM engine which delivers a host of time-saving features such as Context Match, improved concordance searching, plus many more.

Context Match: take accuracy to new heights
Provides "beyond 100%" matches by recognizing location and context to deliver the best translation. No complicated set-up or configuration required.

The Studio Professional page at sdl.com (http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/products/translation-memory/sdl-trados-studio/default.asp ) talks about both Context Match and PerfectMatch:

SDL PerfectMatch™
Leverage previously translated bilingual files to create PerfectMatch content. A quick, simple way to reduce review time and ensure consistency.

Context Match: take accuracy to new heights
Provides "beyond 100%" matches by recognizing location and context to deliver the best translation. No complicated set-up or configuration required!

My question is: what's the difference between Context Match and PerfectMatch? Is it that with the former, the context is stored in the TM, while with the latter, it is stored in documents (SDLXLIFF)?

And what is the "ground-breaking" RevleX™ TM engine? How does it differ from the previous TM engine? Do I understand correctly that context matches did not exist in Studio 2009, which didn't use the "ground-breaking" RevleX™ TM engine?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Big difference Jan 12, 2012

Context matching is TM matching plus additional information.
This additional information is document structure level and preceding sentence (segment).
Perfect matching is document matching. A TM is used only for segmentation purposes, but will NOT be used for any translation. The process compares the current document with its previous version, which must be available as bilingual file (TTX, SDLXLIFF) and inserts all parts of the translation, where the current document and the precedi
... See more
Context matching is TM matching plus additional information.
This additional information is document structure level and preceding sentence (segment).
Perfect matching is document matching. A TM is used only for segmentation purposes, but will NOT be used for any translation. The process compares the current document with its previous version, which must be available as bilingual file (TTX, SDLXLIFF) and inserts all parts of the translation, where the current document and the preceding document are identical. This does not only include the preceding and following sentence, but also the whole paragraph and document structure.

Context Match has been first introduced in Studio 2009, where the new TM format made that possible.
Perfect Match is a successor of a technology called X-Translate and later ContextTM.

[Edited at 2012-01-12 18:06 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Creating vs. using PerfectMatches Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Context Match has been first introduced in Studio 2009, where the new TM format made that possible.
Perfect Match is a successor of a technology called X-Translate and later ContextTM.

Thanks, Jerzy, for clarifying the difference! I have another question related to creating PerfectMatches (only possible with Studio Professional) vs. merely using them (possible with Studio Freelance): "creating PerfectMatches" means running a batch task that inserts the translation and the "PM" status into the new SDLXLIFF, right? What does "using PerfectMatches" mean in practice for a translator who has Studio Freelance 2011? That he will be able to see the "PM" status for PerfectMatches inserted by Studio Professional? Or is there anything else he can do to use these special matches?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Using PM Jan 12, 2012

Using PerfectMatch means, that you see the segment pretranslated with this technology with the corresponding status. This segment is locked. However you are able to unlock it if desired.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Does it work in Studio 2009 as well? Jan 12, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Using PerfectMatch means, that you see the segment pretranslated with this technology with the corresponding status. This segment is locked. However you are able to unlock it if desired.

Thanks! I suppose using PM matches also works in Studio 2009 Freelance (since the SDLXLIFF format is the same as in 2011), although one needs to have Studio 2011 Professional in order to insert PerfectMatches? Or won't Studio 2009 be able to display the PM status?

[Edited at 2012-01-13 13:15 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Updated video on 101% matches Jan 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thanks, Jerzy, for clarifying the difference!

I made a small video about 101% matches in various CAT tools (including Studio) a few weeks ago and there was a confusion between Context Matches and PerfectMatches. I edited it based on Jerzy's answer, adding an annotation at 01:18:
http://youtu.be/WjBomTycIWk?t=1m14s

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK will Studio 2009 display the PM status Jan 13, 2012

The Perfect Match predecessor, Context TM, could be used on TTX files and those displayed the PM status too. I believe to remember having seen this status in Studio 2009 too, but I must admit I would simply need to test.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
If can test it if you want! Jan 13, 2012

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
The Perfect Match predecessor, Context TM, could be used on TTX files and those displayed the PM status too. I believe to remember having seen this status in Studio 2009 too, but I must admit I would simply need to test.

Thanks! If you no longer have Studio 2009 installed, just send me a sample file (TTX, SDLXLIFF) that contains PM matches. I can then open them in Studio 2009 (haven't upgraded yet) and let you know whether or not they are displayed with the PM status.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I have both... Jan 13, 2012

And tested in that very moment:

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
PM status in 2009 Jan 13, 2012

Hi Jerzy,

This was always possible in 2009 because any files from legacy files that contained Perfect Matches were handled as such.

The video from Dominique was very interesting, but I think it's wrong to compare Perfect Match with 101% matches. I think Context Match is the equivalent.

One interesting difference around the way we handle matches is that we only store one TU for one multiple 100% translation because we merge the context information into the
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

This was always possible in 2009 because any files from legacy files that contained Perfect Matches were handled as such.

The video from Dominique was very interesting, but I think it's wrong to compare Perfect Match with 101% matches. I think Context Match is the equivalent.

One interesting difference around the way we handle matches is that we only store one TU for one multiple 100% translation because we merge the context information into the same TU. This saves a lot of space over time and keeps the TM cleaner. We also don't store the full text (again requiring space) but instead we calculate a hash code based on the previous segment and its translation.

Interesting stuff though and worth more explanation I think... something to work on.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Erroneous fact corrected by annotation Jan 13, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Paul! Yes, I realized I used the wrong SDL feature (Perfect Match instead of Context Match) in the original version of my video. This is why I added an annotation (it starts at 01:18) afterwards, which does say that the correct SDL feature (when comparing to 101% matches) is Context Match, not Perfect Match.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Confidentiality
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Your suggestion seems right Jun 23, 2023

I think you should add 100% matches and context matches (101% matches) together. If you don't trust the result you found in Wordfast (a CAT tool I have never tried), I would check it with an analysis in Trados Studio and memoQ and see how the counts compare.

[Edited at 2023-06-23 21:00 GMT]

Yngve Roennike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context Match vs. PerfectMatch

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »