Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:17
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
May 28, 2021

I'm not sure how best to describe this so bear with me.

I'm working on a package containing about 15 documents. It came (from the agency) with a TM and I've also connected it to a local TM as I've worked on something similar before.

When I started, there were very few matches, mostly just boilerplate texts etc. As I go on, a lot of the text is seeming familiar to me, but I'm still getting precious few fuzzy matches (maybe about 1 every 1000 words).

Is there
... See more
I'm not sure how best to describe this so bear with me.

I'm working on a package containing about 15 documents. It came (from the agency) with a TM and I've also connected it to a local TM as I've worked on something similar before.

When I started, there were very few matches, mostly just boilerplate texts etc. As I go on, a lot of the text is seeming familiar to me, but I'm still getting precious few fuzzy matches (maybe about 1 every 1000 words).

Is there something I can do to check the documents I haven't translated yet against what's in the TMs again? Or is this happening automatically and it's just my tough luck that the authors have provided the same information repeatedly but using different words?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:17
English to Russian
Try concordance search first May 28, 2021

Select the whole segment you work on, then press F3. If you see the entire sentence of yellow highlighted words and quite high percentage (83 to 100%), then there can be two causes of this behavior: too high level of fuzzy matches set in Studio (more probable), or different segmentation in different files (blocks of segments in previous document and separate segments in current document, but this scenario is less probable).

In case of scenario 1, go to Options (for future projects) or Project Settings (for your current project), Language Pairs, All Language Pairs, Translation Memories and Automated Translation, Search, check out Minimum match value (70% by default) both for Translation and for Concordance settings. If it is set to 100%, put 70% for both.
In case of scenario 2, you can just use the Concordance search feature to find translated fragments. The only suggestion here is using F3 key as much as you can. Try selecting either entire segments or individual words and pressing F3 when you feel like you have already translated that before.
If you have 70% already set, and Concordance search (pressing F3 on a source text selection) still give no effect, then your #3 "tough luck" scenario is most probably the case.
Collapse

Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:17
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stepan! May 29, 2021

I've now checked all my settings as you described - all good. And I've already been getting my money's worth out of the concordance feature, although it hadn't occurred to me to search for longer phrases. It seems this is the best I'm going to get and they really are saying essentially the same thing multiple times using different words.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019 - TM question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »