Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Abu Bekr Al-Agib  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 21:25
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 18, 2022

My Trados Online platform has a segmentation problem. It overlooks most of the 'fullstops' in the file and thus give me segments that include more than two or three sentences. The file format is .ppt and most of the fullstops are normal i.e. preceded by normal words.
Can anyone help with this issue?

The following is an example of a single segment in the online editor:
"The MOH is the major government provider and financier of health care services with a total of 270 hosp
... See more
My Trados Online platform has a segmentation problem. It overlooks most of the 'fullstops' in the file and thus give me segments that include more than two or three sentences. The file format is .ppt and most of the fullstops are normal i.e. preceded by normal words.

The following is an example of a single segment in the online editor:
"The MOH is the major government provider and financier of health care services with a total of 270 hospitals accommodating 40,300 beds, and 2,281 Primary Health Care Centers, running a number of hospitals that exclusively cater to Saudi nationals. These services comprise 60% of the total health services in Saudi Arabia. It is the pre-eminent provider of all ambulatory and inpatient care. Services including emergency care, elective care, dialysis, organ transplants, open-heart surgery and all forms of cancer treatment are available to Saudi nationals largely free to charge."

Thanks ,,,
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:25
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Some preparation of files is needed before import Feb 18, 2022

Abu Bekr Al-Agib wrote:

Studio in any shape and form is not at all perfect when it comes to segmentation, regrettably, and it is not just ppt files that is a problem. The solution would be some preparation before import. Though here it looks like the import is set up with breaking up paragraphs not activated. Usually it would be the PM that would take care of the import before I receive the project, so I am not totally sure about the settings. I would talk to the PM about the problem, though. Hopefully he or she knows Studio better than you and can prepare the project properly.

There is a similar problem with unwanted line breaks too. They are kept in Studio and it would be better to have them removed before import.

Abu Bekr Al-Agib

Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Saudi Arabia
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem in Trados Live only. Feb 18, 2022

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Abu Bekr Al-Agib wrote:

Studio in any shape and form is not at all perfect when it comes to segmentation, regrettably, and it is not just ppt files that is a problem. The solution would be some preparation before import. Though here it looks like the import is set up with breaking up paragraphs not activated. Usually it would be the PM that would take care of the import before I receive the project, so I am not totally sure about the settings. I would talk to the PM about the problem, though. Hopefully he or she knows Studio better than you and can prepare the project properly.

There is a similar problem with unwanted line breaks too. They are kept in Studio and it would be better to have them removed before import.

Thank you Oestensen for your reply.
I tried loading the same file to the Studio and it was segmented perfectly with no segmentation issues. I the Trados Live, I need to do work more than the translation effort in order to segment those unsegmented portions.
Thanks once again.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RWS Community Feb 18, 2022

I don't use the online version of Trados so I can't say why that happens, but it looks like your file is set to a paragraph-based segmentation. I suggest that you add a post here.

Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Saudi Arabia
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Feb 18, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

I don't use the online version of Trados so I can't say why that happens, but it looks like your file is set to a paragraph-based segmentation. I suggest that you add a post here.

Thanks for the hint. I will try also to educate myself more about segmentation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Online Segmentation Problem

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »