Is it possible to work on a Studio package on two different computers?
Thread poster: PANAGIOTA NASIKA
PANAGIOTA NASIKA
PANAGIOTA NASIKA  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 4, 2023

Hi colleagues,

I have opened a client's package (sdlppx) and started working on it on one computer at the office. Is it possible to continue working on it on another laptop at home? The thing is that the client wants me to deliver a return package (sdlrpx).

What I can do is copy+paste the edited sdlxliff to the other computer, open the sdlxliff and continue translating, but then I won't have the possibility to create a return package to deliver to the client.
... See more
Hi colleagues,

I have opened a client's package (sdlppx) and started working on it on one computer at the office. Is it possible to continue working on it on another laptop at home? The thing is that the client wants me to deliver a return package (sdlrpx).

What I can do is copy+paste the edited sdlxliff to the other computer, open the sdlxliff and continue translating, but then I won't have the possibility to create a return package to deliver to the client.

I thought of creating a return package on the first computer and then copy+paste it to the second one, but it's not possible to open again a return package and edit it.

Any ideas if what I want to do is feasible?

Thank you!
Yiota
Collapse

Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:35
German to Italian
+ ...
The simplest way Jul 4, 2023

I do it is to open the initial package on the second computer and copy paste the file(s) from the package you opened on the first computer.

PANAGIOTA NASIKA
Nuria Morales

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Copy the whole project folder to the other computer? Jul 4, 2023

Maria Teresa Pozzi wrote:
I do it is to open the initial package on the second computer and copy paste the file(s) from the package you opened on the first computer.

I have not had the need of this, but would it be a possibility to copy the whole folder from one PC to the other in one go? To me this seems to be the simplest route. Then I would double click the project file in the root folder. But this won't perhaps work so well?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 04:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OneDrive? Jul 4, 2023

Maybe a silly suggestion, but synchronizing the desktop computer and your laptop can be a solution.
After that you can copy your all Trados Studio files to OneDrive.
You must have the sdlppx files (the return package), the sdlproj files (the files you are translatiing), and TM/Termbase.
Copy/move them to OneDrive after the sync.
I believe this way you are able to finalise the translation and then create a return package to send it your client.

PANAGIOTA NASIKA
PANAGIOTA NASIKA  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The simplest way Jul 4, 2023

Maria Teresa Pozzi, you're absolutely right and it's super easy, although I thought it wouldn't be possible!

Thank you all for your swift responses!

Nuria Morales
Nuria Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
According to Maria Teresa post... Jul 4, 2023

I totally agree with Maria Teresa, I do the same, but I create a return package, and copy/send to an email to myself to open in the new computer. Don't forget bringing with you a copy of the TM used in the old computer and the TB if a new term was added. I imagine you have in the second computer all you need to continue your work.

[Editado a las 2023-07-04 16:07 GMT]

PANAGIOTA NASIKA

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Erm... Jul 4, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
You must have the sdlppx files (the return package), the sdlproj files (the files you are translating), and TM/Termbase.

Perhaps you meant this, but:
1. The SDLPPX file is the forward package, not the return package. And it contains the untranslated files.
2. The return package is the SLXRPX file. It contains the translated files.
3. The SDLPROJ file does not contain the files that you are translating (it is just a settings file).

In my experience, the SDLRPX file does not contain the TM or termbase (I'm not sure if there is some way to put it into it). The SDLPPX file sometimes contains a TM and termbase, but as soon as you start translating files, that TM or termbase becomes outdated because it only contains the content from before you started translation.

This means that, yes, you must copy the TM and/or termbase manually, separately, to the other computer. I'm not sure if simply copying the project folder will be sufficient (I mean, it does have a /tm/ folder but it's not certain that that is the TM that you've been using, right?).

My approach would be: generate the SDLRPX file (the return package), and copy that file and the TM and/or termbase to the other computer. Then unzip the SDLRPX file to get access to the partially translated SDLXLIFF files inside it. Then create a new project manually, and add the partially translated SDLXLIFF files to that project, as well as the TM etc. Complete the translation. Then open the SDLRPX file in the zip program and replace the SDLXLIFF files in it with the latest translated SDLXLIFF files from that new project that you've created. I recommend 7-zip.

PANAGIOTA NASIKA wrote:
What I can do is copy+paste the edited SDLXLIFF file to the other computer, open the SDLXLIFF file and continue translating, but then I won't have the possibility to create a return package to deliver to the client.

Yes, you can won't be able to create a return package, but: a return package is simply a zip file with a different file extension. You can generate a return package on the first computer, and then on the second computer, open the return package in the zip program (if you have 7-zip, right-click the SDLRPX file and select "Open archive"), and then replace the SDLXLIFF file in it with the one that you finished translating.

I thought of creating a return package on the first computer and then copy+paste it to the second one, but it's not possible to open again a return package and edit it.

No, the Freelance version of Trados can't open an SDLRPX file.

I have a client for whom I do editing, and the translator delivers the translation as an SDLRPX file. Of course, I can't open an SDLRPX file myself, but I can unzip it. Then I edit the SDLXLIFF file and simply send the client the edited SDLXLIFF file.

Some clients who request SDLRPX files are willing to receive SDLXLIFF files, if you explain to them why.

[Edited at 2023-07-04 16:19 GMT]

PANAGIOTA NASIKA

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lapsus calami or lapsus linguae Jul 4, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
You must have the sdlppx files (the return package), the sdlproj files (the files you are translating), and TM/Termbase.

Perhaps you meant this, but:
1. The SDLPPX file is the forward package, not the return package. And it contains the untranslated files.

It happens to everyone.
I meant to say the forward package or the package created by clients. Thanks for your correction!
Well, when I read the question, I was here thinking that asker was having tremendous difficulty knowing the solution and that the easiest solution suggested, she would have already found it but without success.
I was wrong...

Paul Morris
Paul Morris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Run it through your own translation memory Jul 4, 2023

Bit of a workaround this, but add your own TM to the project, do "update main translation memory" and then transfer the TM to your laptop and download the package - add the TM and you should be done!

[Edited at 2023-07-04 17:06 GMT]

expressisverbis
PANAGIOTA NASIKA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to work on a Studio package on two different computers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »