Trados Studio 2022 - stuck at "The project must contain at least one translatable file"
Thread poster: Kathleen Tunney
Kathleen Tunney
Kathleen Tunney
United States
Local time: 08:55
Member (2021)
German to English
Jul 8, 2023

Hello!

I'm brand new to Trados Studio. I have version 2022 SR 1. To learn this software, I purchased the Trados Studio Level 1 eLearning course. Everything was going swimmingly until I reached the point in the workbook where I have to create a new project.

I started to use the wizard, but immediately ran into a snag. When I type in the location path D:\Studio 2022\Projects\Samples\Space Travel Project\, I get an error message saying "The specified project already contai
... See more
Hello!

I'm brand new to Trados Studio. I have version 2022 SR 1. To learn this software, I purchased the Trados Studio Level 1 eLearning course. Everything was going swimmingly until I reached the point in the workbook where I have to create a new project.

I started to use the wizard, but immediately ran into a snag. When I type in the location path D:\Studio 2022\Projects\Samples\Space Travel Project\, I get an error message saying "The specified project already contains some files. Please specify an empty or non-existing folder."

I thought there was supposed to be a file in there. (There is; it's a .docx file.) I also have no idea what it means to specify a "non-existing folder"!

I then removed the file from the folder, but then got the error message saying, "The project must contain at least one translatable file."

So which is it???? First I'm told to specify an empty folder, and when I make sure it's empty, I'm told I'm missing at least one translatable file. Catch 22?

Now I'm stuck and can't continue with the workbook, which subsequently instructs me to work on the project I'm unable to create.

Can anyone help? This is making me slightly crazy.

Thanks in advance!
Kathleen
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:55
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
How to resolve Jul 9, 2023

Somebody else with a more structured approach might be along shortly, but if this happens by accident I close down Trados, delete the entire project folder, then restart Trados. Then I create a new project folder. That usually does it.

If you click on the little house icon, you will get the Welcome screen. You may then drag a file onto the window and it will offer you (in Trados 2019) a choice of "Create new project" or "Translate as single document" - the exact wording may differ.
... See more
Somebody else with a more structured approach might be along shortly, but if this happens by accident I close down Trados, delete the entire project folder, then restart Trados. Then I create a new project folder. That usually does it.

If you click on the little house icon, you will get the Welcome screen. You may then drag a file onto the window and it will offer you (in Trados 2019) a choice of "Create new project" or "Translate as single document" - the exact wording may differ. If you choose the latter option the Trados does not, if I remember correctly, object to the existence of other files, like .docx files, in the project folder.

If you create a multiple-file project ("Create new project"), the folder in which you create the project MUST be empty, as you have found out. This is one of a number of quirks of the software that most people find bloody irritating. Why can't Trados just ignore any existing files? No doubt if a Trados rep were here they would give a long-winded justification of why this just has to be, but other applications find workarounds for this sort of thing.

However. This problem is easily avoided by not putting anything in the project folder until AFTER the Trados project has been created. So in your case, put the docx file on the desktop, or in Documents or wherever, and not in the project folder. Once the project folder is in place, you can copy other files into it. In my case I tend to add the purchase order and the original PDF or Word file.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Kathleen Tunney

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 different issues Jul 9, 2023

Hi Kathleen,

The first issue is the location (folder) of the working folder (that must be empty):

In "Location Path" you select your working folder. I must be empty (have no files) or it must not exist yet, so Trados will create it (that's what non-existing means).

For example, you can have an empty folder here: "F:\my-project" and select that as your Location path, or change it to ""F:\my-project\translation" directly in the path field so Trados creates th
... See more
Hi Kathleen,

The first issue is the location (folder) of the working folder (that must be empty):

In "Location Path" you select your working folder. I must be empty (have no files) or it must not exist yet, so Trados will create it (that's what non-existing means).

For example, you can have an empty folder here: "F:\my-project" and select that as your Location path, or change it to ""F:\my-project\translation" directly in the path field so Trados creates the "translation" subfolder.

The second issue is selecting your work files:

Use the buttons under the Project Files section to add files/folders to your project (You cannot create a project without files). Or directly drag and drop them onto the pane on the right.

Hope this helps
Collapse

Kathleen Tunney
Stepan Konev

Kathleen Tunney
Kathleen Tunney
United States
Local time: 08:55
Member (2021)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Something else worked for me Jul 9, 2023

Hi Dan and Jaime,

Thanks so much for responding. I tried your suggestions, but it stubbornly refused to work. Then I came across a suggestion to use the System File Checker and sfc scannow commands. This repaired some corrupted system files, and then I was finally able to create the new project.

This was a way to fix the problem that I never could have guessed! If I hadn't come across that suggestion, I'd still be pulling my hair out!

Again, thank you both,
... See more
Hi Dan and Jaime,

Thanks so much for responding. I tried your suggestions, but it stubbornly refused to work. Then I came across a suggestion to use the System File Checker and sfc scannow commands. This repaired some corrupted system files, and then I was finally able to create the new project.

This was a way to fix the problem that I never could have guessed! If I hadn't come across that suggestion, I'd still be pulling my hair out!

Again, thank you both, gentlemen!

Kathleen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 - stuck at "The project must contain at least one translatable file"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »