Convert Transit Nxt memories for use with Trados
Thread poster: Lee Roby
Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Spanish to English
Jun 12, 2022

Is there any way to export Transit Nxt memories so that I can import them into Trados 2017 and add them to my main memory?
I am not even sure what the file extension is or where to find it so I'm a bit stumped.

Edit: I have worked out how to do it, but is there any way to do it for more than one project at a time?
Seems quite laborious.

[Edited at 2022-06-12 10:32 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Details? Jun 12, 2022

Lee Roby wrote:
Edit: I have worked out how to do it, but is there any way to do it for more than one project at a time?
Seems quite laborious.

If you describe what you're doing perhaps somebody will be able to suggest improvements, but Transit NXT is a niche product nowadays with few users. It's not easy to envisage the steps you might have taken (and I speak as somebody who used it, unwillingly, for a couple of years).

Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
What’s next? Jun 12, 2022

Do you have access to Nxt?

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nxt Jun 12, 2022

I use it a lot for one company and have hundreds of projects I'd like to export the memories from.
I went to Reference Material and there is an option to export as a tmx, but only on a project by project basis. Doesn't seem able to select more than one at a time.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Walk this way 🎶 Jun 12, 2022

Copy all language pairs from all projects to a new folder.

In Transit select:

And then:

Dan Lucas

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 12, 2022

I'll try that tomorrow, do you mean to copy the project files to a new folder?

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Use a file commander Jun 12, 2022

to copy *.eng and *.esp from all sub folders. In case of duplicates use a multi-rename feature.

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Did some Jun 13, 2022

I created a test tmx from a selection of transit projects and it took a while but worked fine, managed to import them, although it took a while.
The memory now has 250k TUs however and I think it would probably be sensible to stop there?
Or is there scope to add lots more without loss of performance?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nature Jun 13, 2022

What's the nature of the texts?

If they are 'technical' (in the broadest sense), I'd add everything and then convert to tab-delimited, remove all kinds of duplicates, and reset all numbers to 0 (Trados will automatically adapt them). Then convert from tab-del to TMX (or import directly from tab-del).

Did so this weekend: from 1 million TUs to 350,000 TUs.

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks yet again Jun 13, 2022

They are a bit of a mix, some technical, some flowery marketing nonsense and so on.
I think I will leave it there anyway, not sure that the ones I am yet to import will contribute much for future work anyway.
Out of curiosity, do you set a maximum number of TUs for your memories?

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:03
Chinese to German
+ ...
Use Transit NXT options to limit the number of entries Jun 13, 2022

Hi,
if the original context (= text before and after the matching segment) isn't too important and you have lots of identical segments in the tmx, you can always create sort of an extract by clicking the option "Export identical segments once only", see Hans' screenshot.

Or check the available options under "Compact reference material". In this case, you'd probably use the compact functions on the folder with all your copied language pairs and export to tmx after compacting. (
... See more
Hi,
if the original context (= text before and after the matching segment) isn't too important and you have lots of identical segments in the tmx, you can always create sort of an extract by clicking the option "Export identical segments once only", see Hans' screenshot.

Or check the available options under "Compact reference material". In this case, you'd probably use the compact functions on the folder with all your copied language pairs and export to tmx after compacting. (Haven't tried it, though)

HTH
Iris
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 13, 2022

Thanks Iris, I will play around with it

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Max Jun 13, 2022

Lee Roby wrote:

They are a bit of a mix, some technical, some flowery marketing nonsense and so on.
I think I will leave it there anyway, not sure that the ones I am yet to import will contribute much for future work anyway.
Out of curiosity, do you set a maximum number of TUs for your memories?

Marketing blabla: you can reuse your genius hunches via concordancing. For this you would have to convert everything.

On a side note (about my current workflow): I've migrated from Transit to CafeTran Espresso and there I use TMs with up to 150,000 TUs. It's 64-bit and really fast. I can put all my stuff in a Total Recall database for concordancing.

I guess that for Trados such an approach should be possible too? Perhaps via an app from the RWS app store???

You could ask in the respective forums (here at Proz and in the RWS Community).

[Edited at 2022-06-13 18:02 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Trados Community Jun 17, 2022

Lee Roby wrote:

The memory now has 250k TUs however and I think it would probably be sensible to stop there?
Or is there scope to add lots more without loss of performance?

You can find some useful info on this question here.

Lee Roby
Lee Roby
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 17, 2022

I'll take a look

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert Transit Nxt memories for use with Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »