Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Which payment options are now available when working with Russian clients (I am not in Russia)
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:49
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Mar 16, 2022

[quote]Anastasiya Karpusenko wrote:

It's still possible to make international bank transfers using SWIFT from Russian bank accounts. I can't say whether it works for all banks (I believe it doesn't), but for unsanctioned ones like Alfa-Bank or Tinkoff it does work. There is a limit of $5,000 per month and the sender will need to attach a document confirming the reason of payment, i.e. an invoice. Just to give an idea, the commission for Tinkoff would be around $15 for transferring the amount of $100.
It seems to be the last option available now... Hope it helps!

Thank you for the information. I will try it and see.
Best regards,
Sarah

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michael Jelnov
Michael Jelnov  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 19:49
Member (2008)
English to Russian
a limit of $5,000 per month Mar 21, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I will try it and see.

A limit of $5,000 per month applies to outgoing (routed out of Russia) transactions initiated by individuals for private purposes.

Sarah, as of today, if your clients have a legally registered business in Russia, they can freely send payments to you against your commercial invoices from their business bank accounts without limitations for the amount. You just have to make sure the two conditions are met: 1) your client's Russian bank is not one of those currently sanctioned by the US government to have correspondent or other pay-through transactions with; 2) your local bank can accept payments via SWIFT.

Btw, sending you a card for cash withdrawal via ATM is a "scheme" that was not very legal even before the March 10th (when Visa and MC banned cross the border transactions with Russia).

Claudia G.

Michael Jelnov
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Russian
US sanctions affects everyone just the same Mar 21, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

my US client notified me that they can't transfer USD directly to my account even though my bank still works fine. We found that we can use Payoneer. They send me money to my Pioneer account in USD, then I withdraw that USD amount to my USD bank account.

Payoneer is a US business and operates strictly as instructed by the appropriate US regulators. If the Payoneer could transfer the USD to your USD account in a Russian bank and your client asserts it couldn't, it only means your client was not willing/able to look into the matter with due diligence.

The clients can be different. If there's a will, there's a way.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:49
English to Russian
Not exactly Mar 21, 2022

Michael Jelnov wrote:
If the Payoneer could transfer the USD to your USD account in a Russian bank and your client asserts it couldn't, it only means your client was not willing/able to look into the matter with due diligence.
Not at all. They are prohibited to have any business with Russians and send dollars into the Russian organizations by law. However Payoneer is outside Russia, and they can send money into that system. Not only they are not "unwilling or unable to look into the matter" but also they sent me a bonus which is five times my March invoice. They don't seem to be unwilling at all.

Michael Jelnov
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Russian
A bonus is a great thing Mar 21, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

They are prohibited to have any business with Russians and send dollars into the Russian organizations by law.

I don't question the fact that your client is satisfied with your services and is willing to continue working with you. This is just a matter of their misunderstanding or propaganda that affects their decision making. There's no law currently in force in the US that could possibly prevent US businesses from dealing with (including sending USD to) all Russians altogether. We are mere freelance linguists, not the government or military entities.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Probably you are right Mar 21, 2022

Michael Jelnov wrote:
There's no law currently in force in the US that could possibly prevent US businesses from dealing with (including sending USD to) all Russians altogether.
Obviously I am not aware of the US laws in effect now. I simply rely on their words.

[Edited at 2022-03-21 13:36 GMT]

Michael Jelnov
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Russian
I see Mar 21, 2022

Was the issue of "the collaboration with Russian-located linguists is forbidden" solved by offering them to wire the money to a local US-based bank (using Payoneer)?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Nope Mar 21, 2022

Michael Jelnov wrote:
Was the issue of "the collaboration with Russian-located linguists is forbidden" solved by offering them to wire the money to a local US-based bank (using Payoneer)?
No. They only used this method to pay for what was done in March.

Michael Jelnov
Kazakhstan
Member (2008)
English to Russian
That's sad Mar 21, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

They only used this method to pay for what was done in March.

They seem to be much too overcautious. Understandable though.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:49
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 22, 2022

[Edited at 2022-03-22 20:50 GMT]

Evgeny Marusik
Evgeny Marusik  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
what's the news? May 5, 2022

Hi, Sarah, did you find a way to solve this problem? I am in a similar situation and considering some workarounds, so I'd like to learn more about your progress, if any.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which payment options are now available when working with Russian clients (I am not in Russia)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »