Thread poster: Aleks Krokhov
Aleks Krokhov
Aleks Krokhov
Local time: 01:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2022

Good day!
My name is Aleksey, I live in Ukraine. I work as a freelancer, translating texts using 10 languages.
Unfortunately, on the 24th of February, the war in Ukraine began.
Because of that prices for goods, food and services have seriously changed.
I levelled up the prices for my services on 15 percent.
But I would like to know more information about this issue. If there are other translators from Ukraine - did you change prices and if yes - what is the percent
... See more
Good day!
My name is Aleksey, I live in Ukraine. I work as a freelancer, translating texts using 10 languages.
Unfortunately, on the 24th of February, the war in Ukraine began.
Because of that prices for goods, food and services have seriously changed.
I levelled up the prices for my services on 15 percent.
But I would like to know more information about this issue. If there are other translators from Ukraine - did you change prices and if yes - what is the percentage?
Thank you, and peace to all of you!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2022-10-04 18:20 GMT]
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Not in Ukraine, but I do translate Ukrainian into English Sep 27, 2022

I charge in dollars and ended up raising my translation and revision prices +7%. I actually hadn't intended to, but a big client started trying to beg discounts in a very rude way.

I felt obligated to instead raise prices as a matter of principle.

That said, I do several languages, and orders for both Ukrainian and Russian are now at an all-time low. Doesn't seem to be affected by the price raise, just the current situation. My third language pair seems to be going grea
... See more
I charge in dollars and ended up raising my translation and revision prices +7%. I actually hadn't intended to, but a big client started trying to beg discounts in a very rude way.

I felt obligated to instead raise prices as a matter of principle.

That said, I do several languages, and orders for both Ukrainian and Russian are now at an all-time low. Doesn't seem to be affected by the price raise, just the current situation. My third language pair seems to be going great for the moment.

For your case, I would suggest charging any foreign clients in dollars or euros if you don't already. Also, perhaps explore additional Slavic source languages in topics you are experienced with, once you know a couple, the rest can be comprehended at the price of extra effort and a migraine.
Collapse

Monica RW

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
change of prices Sep 29, 2022

I don't change prices. I just go for A-list clients and volume.

Jocelyn Laney
Jocelyn Laney  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:19
Japanese to English
Inflation in 2022 Sep 30, 2022

This year I raised my prices, just a little, based on the increase of my own experience. If your local currency is unstable, prioritize jobs in USD or EU.

I think your 15% increase is fair considering your situation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of prices for translation services

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »