Thread poster: Bianca Louback (X)
Bianca Louback (X)
Bianca Louback (X)
Brazil
Local time: 17:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 23, 2022

I applied for a project on Smartcat and was contacted through chat to message them on Telegram (I know it's against the rules, but I wanted to see what it was about). Then I messaged them, and they basically interviewed me and asked me to translate a sample text file, which I did, I sent it and got no response for 2 weeks. They responded yesterday, saying I had to contact this other person (to give you context, I had already been transferred to 3 different people throughout this whole process) w... See more
I applied for a project on Smartcat and was contacted through chat to message them on Telegram (I know it's against the rules, but I wanted to see what it was about). Then I messaged them, and they basically interviewed me and asked me to translate a sample text file, which I did, I sent it and got no response for 2 weeks. They responded yesterday, saying I had to contact this other person (to give you context, I had already been transferred to 3 different people throughout this whole process) who said I could choose a plan from this file, and they would send the project to my email. It went like this:

PROJECT PLANS:
Plan A.
PAGES/DURATION 30 pg(s) 3 days
SALARY $ 1,200
Plan B.
PAGES/DURATION 55 pg(s) 6 days
SALARY $ 1,800
Plan C.
PAGES/DURATION 85 pg(s) 12 days
SALARY $ 2,500
Plan D.
PAGES/DURATION 130 pg(s) 15 days
SALARY $ 3,500
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. Project should be completed within the deadline. 2. If any
extra or duplicate file found in the zip file, the entire work will
be rejected.
3. Incomplete project will not be accepted.
Click to BUY NOW!
PDF-XChange Editor
www.tracker-software.com
Click to BUY NOW!
PDF-XChange Editor
www.tracker-software.com
4. Only type manually, using third party softwares is prohibited. 5.
If file is not typed as shown in the demo video it will be rejected.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
1. You‛ll receive and submit work via mail.
2. You‛ll send us only soft copy of outputs files .
3. You‛ll get your accuracy report and payment within 12 hours after
submitting project.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
These are the only accepted methods of receiving your salary 1.
PAYPAL
2. SKRILL
3. NETELLER
4. PAYEER
5. BITCOIN
6. BANK TRANSFER

Anyway, if you made it this far, what do you think? I've already been scammed twice in the past month, and I really can't afford to waste so much time and not get paid.
Collapse

Erika P.
Erika P.
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'm not surprised. Oct 23, 2022

That you were scammed. I mean, come on! Telegram equals scam.
And this whole message is one huge red flag. Like so big, you can see it from the moon.

Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sebastian Witte
Thayenga
expressisverbis
Serena Balasi
Cetacea

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam? Oct 24, 2022

Proof that this is a scam: (1) you are sent from pillar to post to various "coordinators"; (2) the remuneration is too good to be true; (3) you have to buy special equipment. Avoid at all costs.

Stepan Konev
Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 13:06
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Dec 2, 2022

I'm a new-to-freelance translator and I want to thank you, Bianca, for bringing this up. I was just scanning the forums to see if others had experienced this kind of thing because I got my second request for translation in two weeks that felt scammy (they only wanted to talk via Telegram) and the first one took way too much of my time without going anywhere (though I didn't give them any of my info or spend any money).

Anyway, good to know that Telegram is always a red flag.
... See more
I'm a new-to-freelance translator and I want to thank you, Bianca, for bringing this up. I was just scanning the forums to see if others had experienced this kind of thing because I got my second request for translation in two weeks that felt scammy (they only wanted to talk via Telegram) and the first one took way too much of my time without going anywhere (though I didn't give them any of my info or spend any money).

Anyway, good to know that Telegram is always a red flag. I will be sailing past these offers from now on.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2022-12-02 19:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »