Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:52
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2022

On one hand, I posted a non-payment report on BlueBoard, the client paid (late), and just **a few days** later ProZ sends me a request for clarification on my comment.

On the other hand, I have another non-payment report from **over six months ago** on a invoice than I sent via the ProZ invoicing system, and you haven't done a thing.

Whose side are you on, ProZ? Do you support non-payers?

Michael Newton
Adieu

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Proz not a debt collection agency Oct 24, 2022

I can't see anywhere on any of the following URLs:

https://www.proz.com/faq/invoicing.html#what_is_proz_com_invoicing_for_translators_
<
... See more
I can't see anywhere on any of the following URLs:

https://www.proz.com/faq/invoicing.html#what_is_proz_com_invoicing_for_translators_
https://www.proz.com/invoice/about
https://www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_outsourcer_database_/for_service_providers.html#how_to_open_a_non_payment_report_for_certain_outsourcer_

that Proz claims to provide any reminder or debt collection services over and above giving the user the ability to send a reminder through the system and report non-payment. Collecting debt is the user's own responsibility.

I don't really see how debt collection could be a Proz service. How to do it depends on each jurisdiction.
Collapse

Philip Lees

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Frost Oct 24, 2022

All that doesn't prohibit them from sending a reminder about an unpaid invoice. It takes a minute, it doesn't violate any rule, and it should be done anyway to support good practices in the interest of paying members.

Especially since they are quick to send me a request for clarification on a BlueBoard entry that was perfectly legit, and that they themselves are forbidding me to edit.

Michael Newton
JH Trads
Yaotl Altan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Reminder Oct 24, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

All that doesn't prohibit them from sending a reminder about an unpaid invoice. It takes a minute, it doesn't violate any rule, and it should be done anyway to support good practices in the interest of paying members.

Especially since they are quick to send me a request for clarification on a BlueBoard entry that was perfectly legit, and that they themselves are forbidding me to edit.

As far as I can see, there is a function to send a reminder from the invoicing system. How does this not meet your needs for having a reminder sent?

Maybe you want them to send a reminder out of their own initiative for the purpose of having Proz put pressure on the bad payer, but this is trickier, as Proz is not a party to the agreement between the translator and the client and has not been mandated by the translator to act on the latter's behalf. As such, it is also unlikely to have any more effect than the translator themselves sending a reminder. They could add such a 'mandate' function, but Proz still wouldn't have any possibility of making a bad payer pay.

The key to all this is to try to avoid bad payers in the first place, but it's tricky, not least without access to one of the major credit reference agencies such a Dun & Bradsheet, as it's too expensive for just a single translator to subscribe. I have suggested before that Proz negotiate a suitable and affordable option for this, as they are in a better position to agree on a package and pricing that match our needs. No reaction so far.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A separate box to tick. Oct 24, 2022

Have you ticked that box that says, something along the lines of “this outsourcer owes me money”. I think that will trigger reminders.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Daniel Oct 24, 2022

I must say that Proz staff has been very helpful every time I have submitted a non-payment report (two or three cases), and I got paid in a few days.

P.S. I have never used the invoicing system.

[Edited at 2022-10-24 16:09 GMT]

Agnes Fatrai

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Oct 24, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Have you ticked that box that says, something along the lines of “this outsourcer owes me money”. I think that will trigger reminders.

On which page? Invoices? BlueBoard? Other?

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Oct 24, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I must say that Proz staff has been very helpful every time I have submitted a non-payment report (two or three cases), and I got paid in a few days.

And I must say that the staff hasn't done anything at all in my case.

Michael Newton

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
On BlueBoard Oct 24, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

On which page? Invoices? BlueBoard? Other?

As you are about to leave BB entry, you should be prompted with this box as you give a 1 rating.

Yaotl Altan

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lingua 5B Oct 24, 2022

Yes, I did. Totally useless, ProZ didn't move a finger.

Michael Newton

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
whose side are you on, proz? Oct 24, 2022

Daniel, surely you know the answer to your question by now.

Adieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whose side are you on, Proz?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »