Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:23
English to French
+ ...
Dec 8, 2022

Time is flying...
Has anyone worked in the UK as a freelance translator for a few years, then moved to another country, and retired?
If yes, were you eligible to a fraction of the UK state pension?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Benefits and pensions for UK nationals in the EU, EEA or Switzerland Dec 8, 2022

Start here- you may find answers to your questions. Although you do not seem to be a UK citizen, it appears that you have been contributing to the UK pension scheme. I would advise you first of all to maximise the amount you are able to pay into it. This will give you a better pension. If you are in the UK I recommend the Citizens' Advice Bureaux, who have given me very good assistance in understa... See more
Start here- you may find answers to your questions. Although you do not seem to be a UK citizen, it appears that you have been contributing to the UK pension scheme. I would advise you first of all to maximise the amount you are able to pay into it. This will give you a better pension. If you are in the UK I recommend the Citizens' Advice Bureaux, who have given me very good assistance in understanding my pension situation.

https://tinyurl.com/2n3vug6p

However see also

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/national-insurance-migrants/how-does-uk-state-pension-work-migrants

"Can foreign nationals claim UK State Pension?
If you are outside the UK when you reach the age at which you can start to claim the UK state pension, then you may have to apply for your UK state pension to the pension authority in the country you are living in at the time, rather than to the UK pension authorities"

Eiher way, having a good pension - or several pensions - is the way to a happy retirement. Plus having as much as possible in cash savings.

[Edited at 2022-12-08 09:03 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jennifer Levey

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
EEA+UK+Swiss coordination Dec 8, 2022

This is still coordinated by two EU regulations after Brexit:

REGULATION (EC) No 883/2004 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 29 April 2004 on the coordination of social security systems

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1581275283746&uri=CELEX:02004R0883-20190731

REGULATIO
... See more
This is still coordinated by two EU regulations after Brexit:

REGULATION (EC) No 883/2004 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 29 April 2004 on the coordination of social security systems

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1581275283746&uri=CELEX:02004R0883-20190731

REGULATION (EC) No 987/2009 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 16 September 2009
laying down the procedure for implementing Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 on the coordination of social security systems

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1581275525203&uri=CELEX:02009R0987-20180101

You are entitled to pro-rata fractions from each country where you have contributed or, if a purely national calculation based only on that country's rules is higher, then that higher amount. Claims must be filed with the organisation you presently depend on for all countries. That country will then contact the other member states to coordinate it.

I seem to remember having read that the French system is not completely compatible with some of this, but it would be mentioned in one of the many annexes.

I would suggest anyone in this situation to thoroughly read the relevant Articles of these two Regulations to understand the procedures and what they are entitled to, in addition to any relevant national rules.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Jennifer Levey

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
the other way round Dec 8, 2022

Having worked in Italy for a number of years, I am entitled to a fraction of TWO Italian pensions: INPS (the State Pension) and the occupational pension for architects (CNPAIA). I don't get much from either but the small monthly payments are useful. They are paid to me in the UK into my UK bank account.

Needless to say there are bureaucratic procedures you have to go through to get them, and these take a lot of time and patience.

The INPS pension requires me to fill in
... See more
Having worked in Italy for a number of years, I am entitled to a fraction of TWO Italian pensions: INPS (the State Pension) and the occupational pension for architects (CNPAIA). I don't get much from either but the small monthly payments are useful. They are paid to me in the UK into my UK bank account.

Needless to say there are bureaucratic procedures you have to go through to get them, and these take a lot of time and patience.

The INPS pension requires me to fill in a form every year, witnessed by a Notary, to prove that I am still alive (!!!). The CNPAIA don't ask. They probably believe architects never die.

[Edited at 2022-12-08 09:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-08 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:23
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bit more precision Dec 8, 2022

thanks to both answerers.
My question was a bit too vague.
I have paid in Class 4 NIC for a number a years, plus private pension contribution.
The Fr side told me no estimate was possible until I actually filed a request for a pension, and the UK side does not reply to e-mails (I am only a young 57 something, but forewarned is forearmed)
Therefore, I would be interested to hear from anyone having actually gone through the process.
The private part appears a bit mor
... See more
I have paid in Class 4 NIC for a number a years, plus private pension contribution.
The Fr side told me no estimate was possible until I actually filed a request for a pension, and the UK side does not reply to e-mails (I am only a young 57 something, but forewarned is forearmed)
Therefore, I would be interested to hear from anyone having actually gone through the process.
The private part appears a bit more complicated as there is no official way to transfer the pension over, so here again I would like to know if anyone is in a similar situation.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Contact the UK Pension Service Dec 8, 2022

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

The private part appears a bit more complicated as there is no official way to transfer the pension over, so here again I would like to know if anyone is in a similar situation.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service

However the usual way (I believe) is that the State Pension Service in your country of residence should obtain, on your behalf, any pension that is due to you from the other country. This is covered by international agreements and I don't think Brexit affects it. For occupational pensions, you need to contact them directly.

Pension services are used to these queries; enormous numbers of people move from country to country during their working lives, and pay into different pension funds. It's not unusual.

But you're right: when you reach a certain age, you realise that *tempus fugit* and action is required. This takes time, but it pays off.

[Edited at 2022-12-08 11:33 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:23
English to French
+ ...
Is there a convention between France and the UK? Dec 8, 2022

Contact https://uk.ambafrance.org/Service-des-Affaires-Sociales.

J L

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

Time is flying...
Has anyone worked in the UK as a freelance translator for a few years, then moved to another country, and retired?
If yes, were you eligible to a fraction of the UK state pension?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
EU, not individual states Dec 8, 2022

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Is there a convention between France and the UK?

The URL Tom referred to contains a link to information about the Withdrawal Agreement, which would contain the provisions for how the EU Regulations I referred to apply. The UK did not make agreements with each individual Member State.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Read the small print about your country of residence Dec 8, 2022

If a significant proportion of your retirement income will be in the form of a UK state pension and you are planning to retire to somewhere off the well-beaten track, you’d do well to check whether your UK pension will be adjusted according to changes in the basic rate of pension and/or the cost-o... See more
If a significant proportion of your retirement income will be in the form of a UK state pension and you are planning to retire to somewhere off the well-beaten track, you’d do well to check whether your UK pension will be adjusted according to changes in the basic rate of pension and/or the cost-of-living index.
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/rates-of-state-pension

I live in Chile and receive state pensions from the UK, BE and CH. The amounts paid by BE and CH are adjusted in line with adjustments made to residents of those countries, and are maintaining (more-or-less!) their purchasing power in my local currency despite the current state of the world and Chilean economies. In contrast, owing to the absence of any social security agreement between the UK and Chile, the purchasing power of my UK pension is tending increasingly rapidly towards zero.

Fortunately, I only paid UK contributions for a short time, so the impact is not (yet?) disastrous.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Again, be aware of how your country of residence affects you Dec 8, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

However the usual way (I believe) is that the State Pension Service in your country of residence should obtain, on your behalf, any pension that is due to you from the other country. This is covered by international agreements and I don't think Brexit affects it.

Those arrangements, intended apparently to simplify the process of applying to get your pension and channeling the money into your bank account, don't work if you are living outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Being resident in Chile, my payments are made independently from the UK, BE and CH - and every year I have to provide a 'life certificate' / certificat de vie separately to each of the three national pensions administrations.

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
CAB Dec 8, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

... If you are in the UK I recommend the Citizens' Advice Bureaux, who have given me very good assistance in understanding my pension situation.

And if you are not a UK resident, forget the CAB even exists. The last time I asked them about something (not related to pensions) they refused to answer on the grounds that I live outside the UK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retirement - UK/France

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »