Thread poster: Katarina Stipić-Komadina
Katarina Stipić-Komadina
Katarina Stipić-Komadina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:07
Bosnian to Croatian
+ ...
Jan 20, 2023

I would be grateful for some guidance... I translated a play for a theatre, and was paid for the job, no problem there. Another theatre (in the neighbouring country-language is the same) now wants to use my translation for their own production of the play, and apparently, they are supposed to pay me something (copyright?). I have absolutely no idea how much I am supposed to charge. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I contact intellectual property authority in my country, can they... See more
I would be grateful for some guidance... I translated a play for a theatre, and was paid for the job, no problem there. Another theatre (in the neighbouring country-language is the same) now wants to use my translation for their own production of the play, and apparently, they are supposed to pay me something (copyright?). I have absolutely no idea how much I am supposed to charge. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I contact intellectual property authority in my country, can they help me determine the fee? Or the authority in the neighbouring country? Or this is not a matter within their scope of work?
Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Katarina Jan 20, 2023

Maybe a lawyer specialized in intellectual property law...

Emanuele Vacca
Kevin Fulton
Lingua 5B
Michael Newton

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Lawyer’s fee Jan 20, 2023

Then there’s a hefty lawyer’s fee.

I am not familiar with this, but why don’t you contact playwrights and authors in the country and see how they charge for taking their script to the stage? It looks like they treat you as an author if they ask you for permission to do it. Did they contact the original author, or just you? If only you, then ask other authors for pricing orientation (you will find them listed as “free artists” or working as teachers at performing arts depar
... See more
Then there’s a hefty lawyer’s fee.

I am not familiar with this, but why don’t you contact playwrights and authors in the country and see how they charge for taking their script to the stage? It looks like they treat you as an author if they ask you for permission to do it. Did they contact the original author, or just you? If only you, then ask other authors for pricing orientation (you will find them listed as “free artists” or working as teachers at performing arts departments or similar).

I really don’t know about a play commercial value, but this is where you start your calculation.
Collapse

Lara Nunes

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Guild Jan 22, 2023

There'll be a guild for playwrights, an IP organisation for the theatre or something like that.
If you ask nicely perhaps they'll share their fee schedule.

Lara Nunes

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:07
English to Russian
+ ...
search for legislation of your country Jan 22, 2023

In Russia, the right for the translation belongs to the translator, with all the resulting copyright fees, etc. BUT the author's copyright for the original text shall be respected too. You can browse for applicable laws of your country first, without paying somebody else to do it. Based on the complexity of the findings, you can then consider legal advice, if it would make sense financially.

Mr. Satan (X)

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe royalties ... ? Jan 22, 2023

Katarina Stipić-Komadina wrote:

... Another theatre ... now wants to use my translation for their own production of the play, and apparently, they are supposed to pay me something (copyright?).

I have no idea what your local IP laws say, but I suggest you might be entitled to royalties, rather than copyright fees.

If you have already formally assigned (given, sold, bequeathed, ...) the copyright in your translation to (for example) the original playwright or a theatre in your country, it will no longer belong to you. So you cannot, in principle, sell it again. Depending on the terms under which you assigned it, you may nonetheless be entitled to receive royalties - typically a fee for each subsequent performance - regardless of where such performances take place.

NB: This is not legal advice. As others have suggested, you would do well to do some research on the web, and then, depending on what you discover from that, consider whether it's worthwhile consulting an IP lawyer (especially if the play is a major success with international theatre-goers).
HTH

Mr. Satan (X)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A source Jan 24, 2023

Perhaps this can help you a little: https://spid.com.hr/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Strukovni-cjenik.pdf

Katarina Stipić-Komadina
Katarina Stipić-Komadina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fee... Feb 3, 2023

Many thanks for all of your answers.

Lara Nunes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee for use of my translation in another theatre production

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »