Ruby La Cruz
Ruby La Cruz
United States
Local time: 04:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2023

Hi everyone,

I am working on a quotation to translate + proofread + edit a 20,000-word children's book from English to Puerto Rican Spanish. The book is for children 8-12; adults have also enjoyed the original; the text is folkloric, poetic, and musical.

I want to get this job for more than just completing another project, and I am considering charging $0.17 per word. However, I need some guidance because I also need it to be worth my time. What are your thoughts?
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am working on a quotation to translate + proofread + edit a 20,000-word children's book from English to Puerto Rican Spanish. The book is for children 8-12; adults have also enjoyed the original; the text is folkloric, poetic, and musical.

I want to get this job for more than just completing another project, and I am considering charging $0.17 per word. However, I need some guidance because I also need it to be worth my time. What are your thoughts?

The client is a Californian publisher, and this will be the first book they translate.

Thank you for your input in advance!

[Edited at 2023-02-01 17:21 GMT]
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:24
Italian to English
Probably too high Feb 1, 2023

I don't work in your language pair, but my scarce knowledge of the literary translation market tells me your rate is too high.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Jaqueline Sakakibara
Barbara Carrara
Thayenga
Kevin Fulton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
0.17? Feb 1, 2023

Literature translation pays notoriously poor and I suppose children’s books pay far less…

Jorge Payan
Thayenga
Barbara Carrara

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not enough information Feb 1, 2023

Has the book been successful in English? It’s a normal rate if you are negotiating directly with a publisher in CA. They may use you for some post-production tasks as well.

But have you worked on child fiction before?

[Edited at 2023-02-01 21:00 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The rate Feb 2, 2023

They are quite likely to offer you a flat rate - which is quite common for an entire book.

As our colleagues have already pointed out, 0.17 per word is too much, rather on the unrealistic side.

Barbara Carrara

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Why unrealistic? Feb 2, 2023

It’s unrealistic if it’s a small and unpopular book.

Children’s fiction can also be used in school curriculum, which raises its price significantly. But the OP should know they are receiving offers from others as well.

Why is the publisher focused on Puerto Rico only? Wouldn’t it be better to sell in the whole SA?

_______
A children’s book copy editor is generally cheaper than a developmental editor.

Pricing: On the low end i
... See more
It’s unrealistic if it’s a small and unpopular book.

Children’s fiction can also be used in school curriculum, which raises its price significantly. But the OP should know they are receiving offers from others as well.

Why is the publisher focused on Puerto Rico only? Wouldn’t it be better to sell in the whole SA?

_______

Pricing: On the low end it would be about $175 for a 1000-word book.

I wouldn’t trust anyone charging less than that, because the talent level of copy editors varies dramatically. I’ve given tests to people moonlighting as “copy editors” and they find less than 30% of the mistakes I put in there. Just because you have an English degree doesn’t mean you can copy edit. You have to know the Chicago Manual of Style inside and out.

High end for copyediting a 1000-word book would be more like $300.

Normally, editors don’t charge less if the story is only 500 words, say. They have a minimum for the job.

https://thejohnfox.com/2022/05/how-much-does-it-cost-to-self-publish-a-childrens-book/

[Edited at 2023-02-02 10:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-02-02 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Ruby La Cruz

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
Copy editing is not translation Feb 2, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Copy editing is a completely different kettle of fish. It's not the same thing as translation. I'm the first to say they should attract the same fee, but I think the OP will struggle to get the rate she mentions. But I will be happy for her if I'm wrong!

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes but Feb 2, 2023

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Copy editing is a completely different kettle of fish. It's not the same thing as translation. I'm the first to say they should attract the same fee, but I think the OP will struggle to get the rate she mentions. But I will be happy for her if I'm wrong!

If she’s working directly with a publisher, she’ll be doing some post-production editing and consulting. Are they going to hire a separate editor for this? In literary translation, translators should be copyeditors as well, otherwise I’m not sure what their work will look like.

Other than translating words, you’ll need to know child development and child psychology. And frame that into words. Will that pay 0.05 per word?

[Edited at 2023-02-02 14:08 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
17c is reasonable Feb 2, 2023

The client is a publisher, not an agency - too many people charge agency rates to end clients.

Personally I'd quote a bit lower than that, but simply because children's fiction is my favorite and I'd really like the job.

[Edited at 2023-02-02 16:21 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
Market rates Feb 2, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Other than translating words, you’ll need to know child development and child psychology. And frame that into words. Will that pay 0.05 per word?

The problem is that she will probably be competing with others who charge five cents a word or even less.

Thayenga

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes…. Feb 2, 2023

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

The problem is that she will probably be competing with others who charge five cents a word or even less.

But if this project is important to the publisher, they will be more interested in quality than the price. Not sure why they are after the small market only though, just Puerto Rico. Perhaps they have some connections with schools there.

Anyway, we got a very few details to estimate this properly.

[Edited at 2023-02-02 16:41 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
Sure Feb 2, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

But if this project is important to the publisher, they will be more interested in quality than the price.

Of course! Let's hope for a happy ending for our poster!

Lingua 5B

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Scam? Feb 2, 2023

Do they offer at least an advance payment for that high rate per postal cheque? If so, then have a searching look here on the forums about that specific matter.

Baran Keki

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Children's Literature Translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »