Thread poster: Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 06:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 15, 2023

I have recently applied to a well-respected translation company (based on proz blue board) as a freelancer and have completed all the necessary steps. However, I've now been asked to provide proof of identification and am unsure whether it's safe to do so. I've never been asked for such documentation.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:56
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Make it safe Mar 15, 2023

Yes, it seems to become common practice to ask for a copy of a freelancer's ID - without providing one of the agency's employee!

You can scan your ID card or passport, but make sure that you blacken the number and all sensitive information, e. g. date and place of birth. Send it to them in a password protected PDF file that allows neither editing nor printing of the file. This should do.

If they are not satisfied with this type of file, then walk away.

Inas Albaba
Évariste Willy Noah
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth

Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 06:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thayenga Mar 15, 2023

Thank you for you assistance.

Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ID proof

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »