Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:46
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 19, 2021

Oluwatobi Opanuga wrote:

I'm new on this platform. Thus, I need info on how to get into real subtitle "sector" as I can translate English to Yorùbá easily (oral and written).
Thanks

Hi Oluwatobi,

Your question has already been answered in this thread; please read through it to get a good idea of how to get into subtitling. I will add, however, that not long ago an awesome book on this topic came out — Subtitling: Concepts and Practices by Jorge Diaz-Cintas and Aline Remael. It has all the theory, many practical examples, a companion website with lots of info and exercises, and many more cool things. If you're looking to become a subtitler, I think getting this book to learn the fundamentals would be a good start.

pedronascimento
pedronascimento
United Arab Emirates
I have a question about commas Jun 23, 2021

Hello, I'm new to subtitling.

On a subtitle when I do a line break after a comma, do I keep the comma there or I remove it?
I am asking, because I have heard that the line break itself acts as a comma, but now I'm not sure if I really heard it somewhere or maybe I came up with that rule.
Thank you in advance.

Example 1: Freddy, who has a limp, was in a car accident.

Freddy, who has a limp,
was in a car accident.

or... See more

On a subtitle when I do a line break after a comma, do I keep the comma there or I remove it?
I am asking, because I have heard that the line break itself acts as a comma, but now I'm not sure if I really heard it somewhere or maybe I came up with that rule.
Thank you in advance.

Freddy, who has a limp,
was in a car accident.

or

Freddy, who has a limp
was in a car accident.

Example 2: I really wanted cereal this morning, but I didn’t have any milk.

I really wanted cereal this morning,
but I didn’t have any milk.

or

I really wanted cereal this morning

[Edited at 2021-06-23 19:32 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 23, 2021

pedronascimento wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Freddy, who has a limp,
was in a car accident.

or

Freddy, who has a limp
was in a car accident.

Example 2: I really wanted cereal this morning, but I didn’t have any milk.

I really wanted cereal this morning,

or

I really wanted cereal this morning

Hi Pedro,

You should keep the comma. There's no reason to omit it.

Nadine Michelle Ducca

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
Local time: 08:46
subtitle burning/hardcoding Jun 23, 2021

Hello again.

I just came across yesterday from a Facebook group, which I presume you're part of, a link from a translation agency which redirected me through their application form in order to fill it in with my personal details, rates with template, en cetera. At the end of the form, though, there's a choice about subtitle burning.
I didn't know that when you hardcode subtitles, you can also charge that. They just wanted to know with a simple "yes" or "no" answer if I can pro
... See more
Hello again.

I just came across yesterday from a Facebook group, which I presume you're part of, a link from a translation agency which redirected me through their application form in order to fill it in with my personal details, rates with template, en cetera. At the end of the form, though, there's a choice about subtitle burning.
I didn't know that when you hardcode subtitles, you can also charge that. They just wanted to know with a simple "yes" or "no" answer if I can provide that. I'm familiar about hardcoding, but I don't know how exactly do you calculate that. I mean, how is it possible? I've did it in the past with various tools purely for fansubbing purposes such as Format factory or Handbrake.
Should I ask them to give me their own suggested rate?
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 24, 2021

Thanasis Zantrimas wrote:

Hello again.

I didn't know that when you hardcode subtitles, you can also charge that. They just wanted to know with a simple "yes" or "no" answer if I can provide that. I'm familiar about hardcoding, but I don't know how exactly do you calculate that. I mean, how is it possible? I've did it in the past with various tools purely for fansubbing purposes such as Format factory or Handbrake.
Should I ask them to give me their own suggested rate?

Hi Thanasis,

You should definitely charge for this service, as it requires time and effort. Now, since subtitle burning fully loads your computer's CPU, which makes it difficult if not impossible to do other work at the same time, what you can do is charge for the resulting idle time. So, to find out how much to charge, you need to test your PC's burning speed for videos at different resolutions and then divide your desired hourly rate by that speed. For example, if it can do 20 video minutes at 1080p per hour of real time and your hourly rate is $40, you should charge 40/20 = $2 per minute.

Make sure, though, that you have a reasonably powerful computer; otherwise, it can take ages for it to burn anything, which will make your rates too high.

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
Local time: 08:46
subtitle burning/hardcoding Jun 25, 2021

Okay, thank you for you advice. As I mentioned, it's been ages since I used hardcoding tools.

[Edited at 2021-06-25 16:10 GMT]

Idzwan Ramli
Idzwan Ramli  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 13:46
Member (2021)
English to Malay
+ ...
Subtitling QA/QC Jul 17, 2021

Hi all,

I have had a hand in subtitling qa/qc previously (just a little bit). I wish to sharpen my knowledge and skills.

Any forum threads/articles/blog posts/YouTube videos or any resource at all for me to improve as a subtitling qa/qc (quality assurance/quality control)?

I will view all resources shared, even resources for those who are new to subtitling qa/qc

Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2021-07-17 20:27 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jul 17, 2021

Idzwan Ramli wrote:

Hi all,

I have had a hand in subtitling qa/qc previously (just a little bit). I wish to sharpen my knowledge and skills.

Any forum threads/articles/blog posts/YouTube videos or any resource at all for me to improve as a subtitling qa/qc (quality assurance/quality control)?

I will view all resources shared, even resources for those who are new to subtitling qa/qc

Thanks in advance

Hi Idzwan,

I actually wrote an article about Sub QC recently. You can find it here: md-subs.com/five-years-of-sub-qc

Idzwan Ramli
Idzwan Ramli  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 13:46
Member (2021)
English to Malay
+ ...
Thanks Max Jul 23, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

Idzwan Ramli wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Hi Idzwan,

I actually wrote an article about Sub QC recently. You can find it here: md-subs.com/five-years-of-sub-qc

Hi Max,

It's coincidental I already had that article bookmarked before I read your post here.
I Googled it up previously.
I definitely used it as a guideline for my ownself and did not realise it was your article.
Thanks again for sharing.

Max Deryagin

Nadine Michelle Ducca
Nadine Michelle Ducca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use proper punctuation Aug 6, 2021

pedronascimento wrote:

Hello, Pedro.

You should always use proper punctuation in subtitles. Line breaks do not act as commas. Imagine if every line break were read as a comma. Mayhem!

Just an example:

[I always thought
you would do this to me.]

The line break is nothing more than that: a break so that the line doesn't go over the maximum number of characters.

Therefore, if you break right after a comma, the comma stays.

[Welcome, ladies and gentlemen,
to tonight's exciting awards ceremony.]

Carlos Castillo
Carlos Castillo
Venezuela
Local time: 01:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Full specification of SRT format, or video player (or subtitle editor) with most "accurate" support. Aug 19, 2021

Hello, Max.

I'm coming to this thread now with a question about the SRT format. Although it's a very simple format, I see subtitle editors and video players can treat some non-standard cases (actually format errors) differently. I know these cases are not commonly found, but I've come across files like this in the past and I'd like to know how they should be decoded.

Given the apparent lack of a formal specification, I'd like to ask you, from your experience, whi
... See more
Hello, Max.

I'm coming to this thread now with a question about the SRT format. Although it's a very simple format, I see subtitle editors and video players can treat some non-standard cases (actually format errors) differently. I know these cases are not commonly found, but I've come across files like this in the past and I'd like to know how they should be decoded.

Given the apparent lack of a formal specification, I'd like to ask you, from your experience, which editor or player do you know to have the most "accurate" support for SRT files. Here are a couple of examples of what I mean with these cases. I've been testing other cases, but these are the easiest ones to explain.

00:00:07,007 --> 00:00:09,760
This is the first subtitle.
00:01:26,044 --> 00:01:28,547
This is the second subtitle.
00:01:55,115 --> 00:01:56,116
This is the third subtitle.

00:02:03,999 --> 00:02:04,999
This is the fourth subtitle.

According to what this documentation by Matroska says, the empty line between subtitles means the start of a new subtitle. But, for example, Subtitle Edit decodes these three subtitles as if there was an empty line, even though it complains about the format error. CaptionMaker sees only one subtitle, but uses the times of the third one. Aegisub sees only one subtitle with the times of the first one. And VLC also sees one subtitle with the times of the first one.

I think what VLC does is how this should be decoded, instead of trying to understand what was attempted there.

Another case is the following:

CaptionMaker sees empty subtitles as well as VLC, as I think they should, but Subtitle Edit ignores that empty line. Aegisub sees a subtitle with a first line empty and the second line as it appears there—which doesn't seem to make sense at all.

I'm mentioning Subtitle Edit and Aegisub because, although they're free software, I think they're widely used, especially for this format. And, if what VLC does is standard among video players in some way, these two editors would be kind of wrong, particularly Subtitle Edit. Someone could open a file like this there and think it's okay—because no error is even reported—but then those subtitles wouldn't be displayed in a player. Only if they save the file Subtitle Edit would reformat it.

Is VLC's SRT decoder reliable enough for this?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 00:03 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 19, 2021

Carlos Castillo wrote:

Hello, Max.

Given the apparent lack of a formal specification, I'd like to ask you, from your experience, which editor or player do you know to have the most "accurate" support for SRT files. Here are a couple of examples of what I mean with these cases. I've been testing other cases, but these are the easiest ones to explain.

00:01:55,115 --> 00:01:56,116
This is the third subtitle.

00:02:03,999 --> 00:02:04,999
This is the fourth subtitle.

According to what this documentation by Matroska says, the empty line between subtitles means the start of a new subtitle. But, for example, Subtitle Edit decodes these three subtitles as if there was an empty line, even though it complains about the format error. CaptionMaker sees only one subtitle, but uses the times of the third one. Aegisub sees only one subtitle with the times of the first one. And VLC also sees one subtitle with the times of the first one.

I think what VLC does is how this should be decoded, instead of trying to understand what was attempted there.

Another case is the following:

CaptionMaker sees empty subtitles as well as VLC, as I think they should, but Subtitle Edit ignores that empty line. Aegisub sees a subtitle with a first line empty and the second line as it appears there—which doesn't seem to make sense at all.

I'm mentioning Subtitle Edit and Aegisub because, although they're free software, I think they're widely used, especially for this format. And, if what VLC does is standard among video players in some way, these two editors would be kind of wrong, particularly Subtitle Edit. Someone could open a file like this there and think it's okay—because no error is even reported—but then those subtitles wouldn't be displayed in a player. Only if they save the file Subtitle Edit would reformat it.

Is VLC's SRT decoder reliable enough for this?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 00:03 GMT]

Hi Carlos,

I don't think there's any "standard" or "accurate" way of handling these formatting errors — it's up to a player's devs to decide how they want to treat them. And, as practice shows, they decide very differently. But yes, VLC is fine in this regard.

Carlos Castillo

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
How fast one should be? Aug 19, 2021

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. 30 pages of forum posts are a bit daunting for my evening.

I always wonder, how fast is the expected daily translation rate for subtitlers? I have seen people promising less than 24 hours to create, transcribe, and translate a subtitle from scratch for a 90-120 minutes video. Curious if I'm just too slow, as I would need at least 2 days to translate a subtitle for a 60-90 minute video that already has timecodes.

Thank you in adva
... See more
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. 30 pages of forum posts are a bit daunting for my evening.

I always wonder, how fast is the expected daily translation rate for subtitlers? I have seen people promising less than 24 hours to create, transcribe, and translate a subtitle from scratch for a 90-120 minutes video. Curious if I'm just too slow, as I would need at least 2 days to translate a subtitle for a 60-90 minute video that already has timecodes.

Thank you in advance.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 11:41 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 19, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Thank you in advance.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 11:41 GMT]

Hi Novian,

It depends on the language pair, the type of audiovisual content (as far as dialogue density and the amount of research involved), whether you're translating from scratch or from a template, whether there are additional requirements (e.g. if it's a Netflix project, you have to do FN tagging/annotating/filling out KNPs, etc.), and a number of other things. I'd say the average would be (very roughly) around 15-30 minutes per day.

If someone claims to be able to subtitle a 2-hour film in just one day, they understand neither subtitling nor films.

Mr. Satan (X)
lylasmith313

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Re: Subtitling daily translation rate Aug 19, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Novian,

It depends on the language pair, the type of audiovisual content (as far as dialogue density and the amount of research involved), whether you're translating from scratch or from a template, whether there are additional requirements (e.g. if it's a Netflix project, you have to do FN tagging/annotating/filling out KNPs, etc.), and a number of other things. I'd say the average would be (very roughly) around 15-30 minutes per day.

If someone claims to be able to subtitle a 2-hour film in just one day, they understand neither subtitling nor films.

Thank you for replying.

After a year dealing mainly with subtitles, and faced with crazy situations, I have learned some tricks to speed up my work. But even with that, I still could never finish an hour long video in just under 24 hours. It baffles me how some people manage that sometimes.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 13:37 GMT]

Max Deryagin
asrini juwita sari
lylasmith313

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »