Just thinking about our last days
Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
inge van dri (X)
inge van dri (X)
Local time: 08:01
German to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Attila Nov 11, 2011

I have been thinking about these things for some time. At the start of my career, I have been helped by someone, a professional translator, who was really wonderful. She never wanted me to do something for her, she only asked that in turn, when I would be established, I would help another translator in the same way. The thing is now that in my business life I met several wonderful persons younger than I and I do what I can for each of them, and pass the message.

TMs are material thi
... See more
I have been thinking about these things for some time. At the start of my career, I have been helped by someone, a professional translator, who was really wonderful. She never wanted me to do something for her, she only asked that in turn, when I would be established, I would help another translator in the same way. The thing is now that in my business life I met several wonderful persons younger than I and I do what I can for each of them, and pass the message.

TMs are material things, and I am not sure that they belong entirely to me (in fact I am sure they don't), and I have confidentiality agreements I take very seriously, so I do not lend or borrow them or give them away. But such a collaboration can be extended to depersonalized glossaries.
Collapse

Joshua Pepper
Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:01
French to English
+ ...
How are you planning on making it work? Nov 11, 2011

Felipe, could you present the details of your idea slightly more clearly?
For example, are you planning on making this TM database publicly available, or at least free to access?
I think that I would need a guarantee that my TM would not be exploited for somebody's financial gain, even if there were no confidentiality issues - not that I would have much to contribute any time soon anyway!

Joshua Pepper

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nobody will know Nov 11, 2011

Nobody here will know when I've died. I'll just stop posting.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My TMs are a ragbag Nov 11, 2011

Apart from any confidentiality issues, my TMs are a ragbag.

I don't think they would help anyone much. I don't think they are that unique! The standard phrases that are really useful are already easy to find elsewhere, and the other segments are simply padding, so when I don't need them any more, let others build up their own. Without experience they are useless anyway.

I do keep word lists, however, which are not confidential.
Some have been downloaded from Glos
... See more
Apart from any confidentiality issues, my TMs are a ragbag.

I don't think they would help anyone much. I don't think they are that unique! The standard phrases that are really useful are already easy to find elsewhere, and the other segments are simply padding, so when I don't need them any more, let others build up their own. Without experience they are useless anyway.

I do keep word lists, however, which are not confidential.
Some have been downloaded from Glosspost and similar sites, but others I have collected myself. All the information is on the Net or sources like KudoZ, so they are nothing very special either. These are a ragbag too. I have always dreamed of entering them in Multiterm, but have never spent the time on it. They are just as easy for me to find as they are.

Some lists from my early days may be obsolete, so they would need a lot of editing, and believe me, the Internet has come a long way since then. Cut away the dead wood instead!

I sympathise with your loss of dear ones. I am at an age were some of mine are falling away. We have nowhere to keep their things, except in our memories. And do you know, they are less faded and worn there. They never collect dust, either!
A few photos of people as they really were before the last frail years, and some of the best paintings are real treasures, but we have let most of the other worn relics go, and it is a relief.

I think Attila's suggestion of mentoring is a far better idea!
May you live as long as you want, and want nothing as long as you live!

[Edited at 2011-11-12 08:55 GMT]
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is the problem with financial gain? Nov 11, 2011

Joshua Pepper wrote:

Felipe, could you present the details of your idea slightly more clearly?
For example, are you planning on making this TM database publicly available, or at least free to access?
I think that I would need a guarantee that my TM would not be exploited for somebody's financial gain, even if there were no confidentiality issues - not that I would have much to contribute any time soon anyway!

Joshua Pepper

Hosting cost money and software for uploading and downloading cost money. Not much, I think. It depends on how many TMs will be uploaded. Well, this costs could be covered with publicity in the website.
If we want the site to be useful it should be quick. This is the most important point.
It should be designed thinking in the translators.

My idea is that every single entry has the name of the translator who translated it.
My idea is that there is a list of donants with name and how many TM entries they have contributed. Maybe a small biography for translators with more than 500.000 entries.

Just thinking aloud.

What do you think?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I've just reviewed one of my TMs to try and make an AutoSuggest from it. Nov 12, 2011

This is a function with Studio 2009, which is handy or maddening, depending on your temperament. Maybe an AutoSuggest dictionary could be passed on, if it could not be taken apart to reveal the confidential material it was based on.

However, I expect in a few years SDL will be marketing them ready made. If I can make one, anyone can. So all the other CAT providers will join in, if they are not already doing so.

I only looked at a page or two of my TM, but with your pos
... See more
This is a function with Studio 2009, which is handy or maddening, depending on your temperament. Maybe an AutoSuggest dictionary could be passed on, if it could not be taken apart to reveal the confidential material it was based on.

However, I expect in a few years SDL will be marketing them ready made. If I can make one, anyone can. So all the other CAT providers will join in, if they are not already doing so.

I only looked at a page or two of my TM, but with your post in mind, I thought no, no, and absolutely no.

It is getting easier and easier to build up and edit one's own TM. I think the next generations will be far more selective than we were about what they save in their own TMs. I hope so! Because I would have been myself if I had had the time, or and the technology we have now.

I don't think they will thank us for our old TMs! They will build up far better ones themselves.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Honors and Citations Nov 13, 2011

Robert Forstag wrote:

As far as I know, proz.com does not have an "In Memoriam" page, but I think this would be a good idea. What the site does do (when it becomes aware of a translator's death) is place an "In Memoriam" notice on that translator's profile page and retain whatever contributions he or she has made to Kudoz and the forums.

[Edited at 2011-11-11 10:26 GMT]

Many are also reported in the Honors (sic) and Citations forum.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just thinking about our last days

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »