Decent Russian-English dictionary on CD-ROM/downloadable?
Thread poster: Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2012

Apologies if I’ve missed a forum that would be more specific to this request.

I’m very pleased with my Langenscheidt downloaded dictionary for German-English, especially the convenience of the right-click and pop-up options usable on words within my translation environments, and am hoping that there is something similar and decent for Russian-English to save printed dictionary lookup time. I’d be prepared to pay up to ~€150 for the convenience and comprehensiveness that I wo
... See more
Apologies if I’ve missed a forum that would be more specific to this request.

I’m very pleased with my Langenscheidt downloaded dictionary for German-English, especially the convenience of the right-click and pop-up options usable on words within my translation environments, and am hoping that there is something similar and decent for Russian-English to save printed dictionary lookup time. I’d be prepared to pay up to ~€150 for the convenience and comprehensiveness that I would gain over having to scrabble through several paper and online sources for each more complicated lookup that I do.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Alex.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Multitran? Oct 2, 2012

I've only used Multitran online so far, and I find it very good. There is a downloadable version of it, available e.g. from here:
http://www.dl4all.com/software/1382326-multitran-392-update-on-05-08-12.html

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
ABBYY Lingvo x5 Oct 2, 2012

In case you prefer an off-line dictionary I would recommend ABBYY Lingvo x5. There are many different versions - you may start from here:
http://www.abbyy.com/translation_dictionary/specification/

Alexander C. Thomson
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both Oct 2, 2012

Excellent leads there.

katerina turevich
katerina turevich  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Polyglossum Oct 2, 2012

About three years ago I paid for a Polyglossum dictionary. From "ETS Publishing House". They have many technical variants, in my case it was the general and geodetic glossaries. There was a bit of a hassle paying for it, since for Western European buyers they have an account in Sweden (but that may have changed), and they didn't get my order right away. Also in general probably I wouldn't recommend it except for very technical needs. But I do remember thinking that it would have saved a lot of t... See more
About three years ago I paid for a Polyglossum dictionary. From "ETS Publishing House". They have many technical variants, in my case it was the general and geodetic glossaries. There was a bit of a hassle paying for it, since for Western European buyers they have an account in Sweden (but that may have changed), and they didn't get my order right away. Also in general probably I wouldn't recommend it except for very technical needs. But I do remember thinking that it would have saved a lot of time had I had it from the beginning of the project. As with all dictionaries, you have to use it employing your own head too. Multitran included. Success!Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:28
Italian to Russian
+ ...
MT Promt with specialized dictionaries Oct 3, 2012

http://tinyurl.com/8mhjyjf fits well within 150 eur budget too.
Plug-ins for MS Office, web browser and Skype are included.
Note: Multitran and Lingvo are the must, that's out of question.

hth

[Edited at 2012-10-03 16:17 GMT]

Alexander C. Thomson
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Katerina and Gennady Oct 3, 2012

for these great further tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Decent Russian-English dictionary on CD-ROM/downloadable?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »