Do you use smartphones/tablets for note taking in consecutive interpretation?
Thread poster: Irma Amador
Irma Amador
Irma Amador  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2012

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you use smartphones/tablets instead of paper for note taking.

Thank You Very Much for your kind reply

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Recording Dec 12, 2012

There are some people who use recording equipment, thus completely eliminating the need for notes. They merely play back the recording and do simultaneous.

I have never used it or even seen it done, but those who have claim it is great. Notetaking is a thing of the past. You might research the subject on the Net.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Dec 12, 2012

With Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone the screen is not too large, so it can not fully replace paper for consecutive in my case. But it is useful sometimes, even for a term search...when there's sufficient time for it.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
No but... Dec 12, 2012

....one day I was consecutive interpreting and the lady I was interpreting to was constantly writing on her cellphone. It took me a while to figure out that she was taking notes of what I was saying and not just being impolite and playing with her smart phone while I was talking
I'd never do it anyway since I only take very few notes (numbers or names) and it is much easier and less complicated to write on a piece of paper

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use smartphones/tablets for note taking in consecutive interpretation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »