Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2016

Xerox adds instant translator feature to some of its printers
They can print out the document you scan in the language you choose.

"After the trial period, you'll have to pay $10 per 100 pages of machine translation. Good enough for a school project or two."

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/10/xerox-easy-translator-service/

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:07
English to Italian
Wow... Mar 10, 2016

OCR + machine translation... Wonderful, just wonderful...

At any rate, it seems they also offer a human translation service at 3 different "tiers" (via a translation agency): "Express" (MT-PE, at $0.10 psw), "Professional" ($0.23) and "Expert" ($0.32).

[Edited at 2016-03-10 15:22 GMT]

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
New technical performance... Mar 10, 2016

Ok, technically, it looks great... however, what kind of text is that going to print ? Not even good for school work in fact, too much misunderstanding would come out of it.
I've been using OCR professionally and I always had to check and edit the texts for OCR issues. Adding MT issues upon it seams a bit touchy isn't it ?
Anyway, I'm curious, I would be interested in a test...

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Interesting pricing Mar 10, 2016

[quote]Mirko Mainardi wrote:
At any rate, it seems they also offer a human translation service at 3 different "tiers" (via a translation agency): "Express" (MT-PE, at $0.10 psw), "Professional" ($0.23) and "Expert" ($0.32).

Most probably, Xerox's pricing is based on some serious market research. Considering that "Express" will be just some improved garbage, this should mean that they found that the market is willing to pay between $.23/sw and $.32/sw for real translations.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Guess so Mar 10, 2016

Luca Tutino wrote:

Most probably, Xerox's pricing is based on some serious market research. Considering that "Express" will be just some improved garbage, this should mean that they found that the market is willing to pay between $.23/sw and $.32/sw for real translations.

I guess so. At any rate, the "Professional" tier (and the "Expert" tier too, I guess) also includes proofreading (in addition to both Xerox's and the agency's cuts, obviously).

Also, since we're talking about scanned docs, I guess the rate also includes transcription or having to deal with OCRed text...

I wonder how much (or how little) of those rates actually trickles down to translators (and proofreaders)...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Xerox adds instant translator feature to some of its printers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »