Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is Microsoft Language Portal having problems?
Thread poster: Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a worry that it will be shutting down for good? Jun 1, 2016

I would think it's in everyone's best interest, including Microsoft, if it continues.
Glad it's working now

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
Local time: 07:40
English to German
+ ...
I've got no idea Jun 1, 2016

if/when it'll shut down. It's an excellent ressource, but seeing as it's free it's definitely not very high on Microsoft's priority list. I've now got a mental image of one poor terminologist in Microsoft, trying to educate the CEO about the value of consistency ...

Mariëlle van Leeuwen
Mariëlle van Leeuwen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
And down again Jun 2, 2016

It seems that they are playing a game of ping pong at Microsoft: it's down again for me

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 06:40
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TBX files Jun 3, 2016

Elisabeth Maurland wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I you want, I can send it you.

However, I was able to download them myself just now. But I have no idea what to do with tbx files. I googled and read that I could turn them into xml files and open them in Excel, and Excel would recognize the format. I did that, but I can't make any sense of the text. Maybe it doesn't work that way with a Mac. I'll have to google some more.

Mariëlle is right, the Language Portal doesn't work again...

TBX files are easily converted with SDL Multiterm Convert.
I have used it to convert the TBX file I've downloaded from Microsoft, and then imported the terms into a Data Base/Termbase created with SDL Termbase.
If you work with Trados, you can try to do this.

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems to be working for me Jun 3, 2016

But I have noticed it might work for a little while, and then it get slower until it stops completely. I haven't used it much lately.
I don't have Trados, so I can't use the SDL converter.

Micaela Santo
Micaela Santo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
It isn't working for me at all Jun 5, 2016

and hasn't for a week now. I am also unable to download the terminology - I keep on getting the "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found" error message.
It is extremely frustrating and is actually affecting my work. I can only hope the issue gets sorted soon.

Mariëlle van Leeuwen
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Contact? Jun 6, 2016

Is there anyone who knows who to contact about this? As Microsoft is such a large company I wouldn't know where to begin ...

Cris_Pinheiro
Cris_Pinheiro  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Microsoft Language Portal - query in support forum Jun 6, 2016

There is an ongoing "query" here, but they, as the portal, seem to be slow to react...

See more
There is an ongoing "query" here, but they, as the portal, seem to be slow to react...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newmsn/forum/newmsn_signup-newmsn_otheracct/microsoft-language-portal/8c713cd7-4f13-4e10-98f1-60cf5b5caafe?msgId=89474d0f-d3f2-4942-86b1-faf7b06528fc&rtAction=1465217439016
Collapse

Mariëlle van Leeuwen
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fingers crossed Jun 6, 2016

Thank you for the link Cris. I hope making more 'noise' will wake Microsoft up

I know it is a free service, but it is a very helpful service for us translators!

I managed to download the tbx file a few days ago and I have opened it in excel (just change the tbx extension to xml), so that helps a bit ...

Mariëlle van Leeuwen
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Solved? Jun 7, 2016

It is up for me again and I hope it will stay that way

Micaela Santo
Micaela Santo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Here's hoping... Jun 7, 2016

It appears to be working fine for me too - let's hope it stays that way!

Just in case there are further problems in the future, colleagues working from En into It can download their language pair here: http://www.glossapedia.com/wordpress/raccolta-terminologica-microsoft-en-it-per-sdl-multiterm/. It's already been converted into
... See more
It appears to be working fine for me too - let's hope it stays that way!

Just in case there are further problems in the future, colleagues working from En into It can download their language pair here: http://www.glossapedia.com/wordpress/raccolta-terminologica-microsoft-en-it-per-sdl-multiterm/. It's already been converted into a Studio termbase. Not quite as good as the real thing (as previously mentioned by others, it seems to be a "downsized" version of the online glossaries) but definitely better than nothing.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
It seems to be working...... Jun 7, 2016

..... at least now. Tomorrow, who knows.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Microsoft Language Portal having problems?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »