Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:29
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sep 20, 2021

Hi!

I got a fantastic translation proposal, large amount of words, regular translations, they accepted my rate, they pay weekly and they even want to pay in advance the first week.
BUT... payments would be made to an IG account. I understand that it is an Investment account. The client told me that I can wire to my French account with no restrictions of country of residence or amount.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Scam? Sep 20, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi!

I got a fantastic translation proposal, large amount of words, regular translations, they accepted my rate, they pay weekly and they even want to pay in advance the first week.
BUT... payments would be made to an IG account. I understand that it is an Investment account. The client told me that I can wire to my French account with no restrictions of country of residence or amount.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Ask them why they can't/won't pay you directly.

I headed this post "Scam" because I would always be suspicious of someone who proposes paying in advance before you have even done any work. I suggest you carry out due diligence on this client before you proceed. Are they really who they say they are?

[Edited at 2021-09-20 13:15 GMT]

Iris Schmerda
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
Mohamad Alayoubi
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
Kartik Isaac

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
Beware Sep 20, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!

If someone agrees or even offers to pay in advance, it should have your Alarm bells ringing. Agree with Tom here. This can only be a scam. Sounds too good to be true.

Tom in London
Mohamad Alayoubi
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
ahartje
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

San Sinuon
San Sinuon  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 21:29
Member (2012)
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
This sounds like a scam to me Sep 20, 2021

Please beware. If they are real, they should pay you directly. Many good real clients won't pay in advance.

Claudia Iglesias
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claudia Sep 20, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
BUT... payments would be made to an IG account.

As far as I can tell, IG is an investment platform. If you have an IG account, then you can withdraw money from it.[1] You can also add (i.e. deposit) money to your IG account.[2]

However, I don't see any option for someone else to deposit money into your account. As far as I can tell, it's not possible to send money from one IG account to another IG account that belongs to someone else.

This means that the only way that they can pay money into your IG account would be if they were given access to your IG login details (!!!), and if you do give them this information, then they would have access to all of your personal information and/or be able to do various things in your name (including, possibly, to withdraw money from your usual bank account into your IG account). So, if this is a scam, this would be one way of going about it.

Why don't you ask them for more information about what they mean by "IG" and how payment via IG would work, and then tell us what they said.

[1] https://www.ig.com/en/help-and-support/deposits-and-withdrawals/withdrawals/how-do-i-withdraw-funds-from-my-ig-account
[2] https://www.ig.com/en/help-and-support/deposits-and-withdrawals/deposits/how-do-i-deposit-funds-into-my-account

Alternatively, it could be that they are referring to Instagram. It is possible to send and receive money via Instagram, but as far as I can tell, this is mostly for people who sell things (so you'd have to set yourself up as a seller on Instagram, and then the client would "buy" something from you), but then the client has "buyer protection", and you're not truly selling they a photograph or painting.

Mohamad Alayoubi
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments, it might be a scam, but how does it work? Sep 20, 2021

It does seem weird, at least, that's why my first instinct was to ask here. As I don't know IG Bank (and not Instagram), I thought there might be a chance of legitimacy.

This guy contacted me via Proz.com, not logged in, saying that he worked for Adecco, that I would work for Adecco, although the final client was XXX. The IP was from Switzerland.

He sent a description of the job, not only translation, but also sending the translation to a list, after we agreed (I accept
... See more
It does seem weird, at least, that's why my first instinct was to ask here. As I don't know IG Bank (and not Instagram), I thought there might be a chance of legitimacy.

This guy contacted me via Proz.com, not logged in, saying that he worked for Adecco, that I would work for Adecco, although the final client was XXX. The IP was from Switzerland.

He sent a description of the job, not only translation, but also sending the translation to a list, after we agreed (I accepted their conditions including first week payment in advance, he accepted my rate). Then he sent me a contract, already signed by him that I signed and sent back in PDF format. And then I got the documents to be translated during the first week. Everything looked so fantastic.

He asked to talk via Skype,

- Okay, we should send you the payment via IG Bank. You will get IG Bank online banking account.
Please suggest an username that we can use for your account.
To know more about IG Bank, search "IG Bank" in Google. It's an investment bank."

- What do I need to receive this payment?

- You would need to sign a paper with IG bank using same signature you used for the job contract.
Please suggest an username for your IG Bank online banking account.

- (My name)
I understand this is an Investment account.
I'd like to receive my payments in a normal bank account that is in France.

- Yes, you can transfer the amount to your regular bank account.

- With no restrictions of country where I live or amount for instance?

- No restrictions.

And that's it. Then I came here. Now I wonder whether they might have copied my signature from the contract and open an account in my name? What would they be able to do with that? And I'm sure I'm not the only one they contacted... I'm puzzled.

[Editado a las 2021-09-20 19:07 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
don't do this Sep 20, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Be careful about terminology here. The **username** is chosen by you as your log-in username and should be strictly private. Nobody else, including the bank itself, should ever know what your username is. Are you sure they mean "username"? Do they speak fluent English? Do they know what a username actually is?

Others would be entitled, however, to know the name of the account holder (which is something completely different).

[Edited at 2021-09-20 20:54 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
This IS a scam Sep 20, 2021

At this point (not more than at the beginning of the thread, really), there is absolutely NO CAUSE to consider this to be a legitimate offer.

Tom in London
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
Iris Schmerda
Alison Jenner
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claudia Sep 20, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
He said "Okay, we should send you the payment via IG Bank. You will get IG Bank online banking account. Please suggest an username that we can use for your account. To know more about IG Bank, search "IG Bank" in Google. It's an investment bank."

Maybe he's just a millennial who doesn't know that web sites have their own URLs and that you don't need to use Google to get to a web site. (-:

And no, "IG Bank" is not an investment [u]bank[/b], although it could be that he means "investment platform", since IG Bank is a securities trading platform.

See, you can have an "account" with IG Bank, which I believe would be like a profile (with a username and password), and in the profile you would (I suspect) link your profile with a bank account so that you can top up your IG Bank account. But this means that if they know what your username and password is, then they can withdraw money from your bank account.

It seems kind of him to be willing to assist you in signing up for an IG Bank account, but... no... you should not use a service that is so difficult to use that you can't even sign up for it on your own.

Using a service to get paid if that particular service isn't actually designed or meant to facilitate getting paid, is a red flag.

- You would need to sign a paper with IG bank using same signature you used for the job contract.

This in itself is not a problem -- at certain other online financial institutions you also need to provide your signature. But the rest of the request just all seems so fishy.

Some clients do use middle-man portals where they send money to, from where you then withdraw the money to your own bank account, but these portals are typically portals that are designed specifically for this purpose, i.e. to help freelancers get paid for work. Using a stock trading platform as a go-between to get your money to you just seems odd. I would be very, very cautious of this.

[Edited at 2021-09-20 22:08 GMT]

Claudia Iglesias
Tom in London
Peter van der Hoek

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Red flags Sep 20, 2021

Adecco is also mentioned in a thread in the Proz facebook group right now. Someone says they represent Adecco but they do not use an Adecco email account. This is always a red flag.

The fact that the conditions sound too good to be true is another red flag.

The fact that they seem more interested in the way of payment than in the actual translation work is another red flag.

The fact that they want to dictate the payment method and force you to use an accoun
... See more
Adecco is also mentioned in a thread in the Proz facebook group right now. Someone says they represent Adecco but they do not use an Adecco email account. This is always a red flag.

The fact that the conditions sound too good to be true is another red flag.

The fact that they seem more interested in the way of payment than in the actual translation work is another red flag.

The fact that they want to dictate the payment method and force you to use an account with a particular bank, is another red flag.

The fact that THEY want to set up the account for you is a red flag with a shrill alarm sound. You cannot allow anyone else to set up and manage a financial account in your name. You would allow them to do any kind of scam, fraud, money laundering, or whatnot, in your name.

To sum it up, this cannot be good.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Claudia Iglesias
Philip Lees
Iris Schmerda
Tom in London
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Kartik Isaac
Kartik Isaac  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2017)
German to English
+ ...
SCAM! Sep 21, 2021

I too received an email from an "Alessandro Widmer" claiming to work for Adecco.

I immediately saw that he was writing from a personal email ID and promptly reported his SCAM/SPAM.
... See more
I too received an email from an "Alessandro Widmer" claiming to work for Adecco.

I immediately saw that he was writing from a personal email ID and promptly reported his SCAM/SPAM.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eo_JtjIx6GwVwCVRekYEsf8YBmh_6XiD/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ar5DRMtgPL495Ly81y4gc7s8h2I3lbyW/view

[Edited at 2021-09-21 05:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-21 05:16 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Security advice: Pull the plug and if you like inform the bank Sep 21, 2021

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
- Okay, we should send you the payment via IG Bank. You will get IG Bank online banking account.
To know more about IG Bank, search "IG Bank" in Google. It's an investment bank."

Please suggest an username for your IG Bank online banking account.

- (My name)
I understand this is an Investment account.
I'd like to receive my payments in a normal bank account that is in France.

- Yes, you can transfer the amount to your regular bank account.

- With no restrictions of country where I live or amount for instance?

- No restrictions.

[Editado a las 2021-09-20 19:07 GMT]

Dear Claudia,

with some experience in writing manuals for (other) banks my security advice is to immediately pull the plug here. There is a broad range of possible not legal activities they can and will start with your (!) account and name.

That said the first step is to pull the plug, the second is (if you like) to write a message to the bank explaining there is a possible attack of the account opening workflow.

If you haven't seen it yourself you would never think what their ideas are and how they try to bring small amounts of money out of the bank.

Best regards

Gerd

[Edited at 2021-09-21 09:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-21 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-21 09:39 GMT]

expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Valérie KARAM
Valérie KARAM  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
Same guy contacted me Sep 21, 2021

One Alessandro Widmer, supposedly from Adecco but with an @outlook address. He accepted my rate immediately, same conditions as other people on this thread, but with an option to be paid via Wise (Ex Transferwise), so that's quite plausible. What I don't like is that I am supposed to acquire some marketing software that they will pay me for after I get it, from what I understand. And I can't find anything about this software: Arizen.tk. I think that's the final red flag for me...

Adieu
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Ooh, another one Sep 21, 2021

Gotta love it when lazy scammers try to run multiple simultaneous scams on the same mark

Free work, banking scam, and ooh can you buy my software and probably install some inbedded spyware/malware while you're at it?

[Edited at 2021-09-21 14:29 GMT]

expressisverbis

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
.tk: Tokelau Sep 21, 2021

This page dates back from 2011, but its content is certainly relevant to this thread:

https://gcn.com/articles/2011/12/23/internet-growth-phishing-makes-tokelau-third-largest-country.aspx

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alessandro Widmer / Adecco staff impersonation / IG account

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »