Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
being paid only for the words you correct, not all of the words you check and read...
Thread poster: Heather Fremont
Heather Fremont
Heather Fremont  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2023

Hello,
I am new to the world of machine translation, having focused on literary translation and copyediting for many years.

I have just begun working with a very large LSP. We agreed on a rate of three cents per word for proofreading. However, when I was sent a file, I was given an extremely low price based on the match percentages. For a job of 1738 words, I am only paid the full three cents for the words with low match percentage. However, in the notes for the job, I am sp
... See more
Hello,
I am new to the world of machine translation, having focused on literary translation and copyediting for many years.

I have just begun working with a very large LSP. We agreed on a rate of three cents per word for proofreading. However, when I was sent a file, I was given an extremely low price based on the match percentages. For a job of 1738 words, I am only paid the full three cents for the words with low match percentage. However, in the notes for the job, I am specifically told to check ad proofread all context and 100% matches as well. I am very confused by this. I come from a copyediting background where I am paid a certain rate per word regardless of how many of those words need corrections.

For a different language service provider I did similar proofreading/MTPE jobs and was paid per source word regardless of how many corrections I actually made.
Is it normal to be paid only for the words that actually need correcting, as opposed to being paid for all of the words that you take the time and cognitive effort to check and read? I cannot afford to read and check thousands of words and only be paid for correcting a few words....can anyone afford to do this??

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your feedback.
Collapse

dkfmmuc

Évariste Willy Noah
Évariste Willy Noah
Cameroon
Local time: 17:31
English to French
+ ...
I have been facing the same Mar 15, 2023

Hello,
I have been facing the same with agencies in the past. Sometimes they told you to have a look to segments or words with high matching percentage to be sure that there's no error. But at the end they only pay you for those with low percentage you in the rate you agree with them.
So, I decided when I receive this kind of MTPE work to be paid normally regardless percentage of accuracy. If not, I decline the task, because as a professional I can't do such a work without having a
... See more
Hello,
I have been facing the same with agencies in the past. Sometimes they told you to have a look to segments or words with high matching percentage to be sure that there's no error. But at the end they only pay you for those with low percentage you in the rate you agree with them.
So, I decided when I receive this kind of MTPE work to be paid normally regardless percentage of accuracy. If not, I decline the task, because as a professional I can't do such a work without having a look to the whole task and correct all the errors.
Collapse

Oré Dieudonné Sylvestre Lago
Christine Andersen
Paul Wood
MollyRose

Francisco González Ramírez
Francisco González Ramírez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try charging by the hour for those kinds of jobs Mar 15, 2023

I think it may work better this way. If they don't want to pay you by the hour for proofreading/editing, consider declining the job. In the end, we're freelancers, we're supposed to charge fees (not rates, we're not dealing with taxi rides) for our professional services and we choose how we work.

Kay Denney
Agnes Fatrai
mughwI
Peter Dahm Robertson

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:31
English to Russian
+ ...
'Brutto' words Mar 15, 2023

Editing and proofreading (whatever they would mean for a specific LSP) must be paid by total word count. Any other word-based way is an insult. I have almost never charged by hours, so I can't comment on that. I don't do much editing nowadays, but it is (and always has been) paid by total number of words.

Daniela Zambrini
Eleanor Odhiambo

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:31
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Correct all the words Mar 15, 2023

Well, you may correct all the words Replace everything with synonims, make false corrections, etc. By the time they notice your opportunistic behaviour, you withdraw your earnings.

Greedy and incompetent agencies should be punished and squeezed out of the market.

[Edited at 2023-03-15 07:13 GMT]

Kay Denney

Oré Dieudonné Sylvestre Lago  Identity Verified
Cote D'ivoire
Local time: 16:31
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Charging a rate per hour Mar 15, 2023

I think its better to charge agencies with an hourly rate than a rate per word.

In fact, they always try to make profit on us freelancers. Therefore, I decided to use these ki ds of methods to have both parties satisfied.

In case, they don't want or aren't ready to pay you an hourly rate, you just decline the job. Now we need to rethink the freelance translation job and be more professional.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kay Denney
Thayenga
Christine Andersen
Philippe Etienne

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:31
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Avoid them Mar 15, 2023

Hello,
I think I know which LSP you're talking about. They use the same pricing method for MTPE.

In my opinion nobody should accept these conditions.

If enough translators accept their rates and methods, the LSP will continue to look for more ways to pay translators less for their work.

Gulshan Berdieva
Kay Denney
Thayenga
Agnes Fatrai
Jo Macdonald
Philippe Etienne

Nikolay Novitskiy
Russian Federation
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Expropriation of the expropriators Mar 15, 2023

I've read advices here - all my colleagues offer to "avoid such agencies". But I think we should strike first - accept such tasks, sabotage thm and make them suffer losses.

Because if you just "decline", there will be others who accept. But if we massively hurt them, they will never recover.

PS: they will suffer double losses. First when paying you, and then by losing a client.

[Edited at 2023-03-15 07:20 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
If you're a pro ... Mar 15, 2023

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

Well, you may correct all the words Replace everything with synonims, make false corrections, etc. By the time they notice your opportunistic behaviour, you withdraw your earnings.

Greedy and incompetent agencies should be punished and squeezed out of the market.

[Edited at 2023-03-15 07:13 GMT]

...you will not do this.

Lieven Malaise
Christine Andersen
MollyRose
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
John Fossey
Philip Lees

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Won’t happen to me Mar 15, 2023

since I don’t deal with MTPE or any editing projects at all. These are high-risk projects on many different levels.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 15, 2023

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

I've read advices here - all my colleagues offer to "avoid such agencies". But I think we should strike first - accept such tasks, sabotage thm and make them suffer losses.

Because if you just "decline", there will be others who accept. But if we massively hurt them, they will never recover.

PS: they will suffer double losses. First when paying you, and then by losing a client.

[Edited at 2023-03-15 07:20 GMT]

Except that they won't pay you for "massively hurting" them. They'll ask someone else to examine your work to see whether the corrections were all justified and then they'll turn round and say they're only paying you for justified corrections.

And what about your reputation as a translator?
The agency I worked at was a member of a society of translation agencies. They regularly used to share details of translators who they had had problems with. My former boss sabotaged one young girl's career completely despite him being completely in the wrong from both a moral and legal point of view.

Wolfgang Schoene
Nikolay Novitskiy
Christine Andersen
Philip Lees

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Their justification Mar 15, 2023

Heather Fremont wrote:

Hello,

I have just begun working with a very large LSP. We agreed on a rate of three cents per word for proofreading. However, when I was sent a file, I was given an extremely low price based on the match percentages. For a job of 1738 words, I am only paid the full three cents for the words with low match percentage. However, in the notes for the job, I am specifically told to check ad proofread all context and 100% matches as well.

Being new to the industry of machine translation can be confusing because it basically is not a translation job, but instead the type that will feed AI-based programs to improve their output. With this said, the fact that you accept proofreading anything for 3 cents a word confirms the LSP's opinion that they don't have to pay decent rates to anybody for anything.

If they explicitly instructed you to proofread all the word, then they must pay you for the total word count or - as in your case - be in violation of your agreement.

You can almost always be certain that you will end up with the (financial) short end of the stick when you accept an MTPE project. If you can afford it, then it would be a smart business decision to void this type of work. As our collages have already stated, trying to hurt the agency will only backfire and ruin your career.

Wolfgang Schoene
MollyRose
Daniela Zambrini
Philip Lees

Nikolay Novitskiy
Russian Federation
Member (2018)
English to Russian
... Mar 15, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

Except that they won't pay you for "massively hurting" them. They'll ask someone else to examine your work to see whether the corrections were all justified and then they'll turn round and say they're only paying you for justified corrections.

And what about your reputation as a translator?
The agency I worked at was a member of a society of translation agencies. They regularly used to share details of translators who they had had problems with. My former boss sabotaged one young girl's career completely despite him being completely in the wrong from both a moral and legal point of view.

You have a point, Kay.

But I know that agencies who pay peanuts pay the same peanuts to those who examine you. More than that, they often have silly requirements like "write a comprehensive feedback on each error you spot"...

Now imagine yourself in a role of an LQA specilist: you are paid an hourly rate and you see many errors. You have already accepted the task. Will you spot all the errors and spend much more time then you are paid for? No. You will rather label the translation quality "acceptable", mark some obvious errors and forget about it. No one wants to be a hero for the cost of their own money.

And still you are right, Kay. That's why I suggest to sabotage in a smart way. Hurt the style! Make translation correct but uncomprehensive. Invent other smart ways of sabotage. Argue and deny when they spot your mistakes, at least! And don't forget about the solidarity with you comrades when you are a reviewer for such an agency.

As for reputation loss... I have never seen things like this. They will blacklist you, of course - and that's all. They can't sell or transfer your personal data to other agencies. And even if they will - these guys are not your clients.

At the same time, boutique agencies and direct clients you work with will tell quite the opposite Because they will have the best translation ever

[Edited at 2023-03-15 09:21 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Some dirty tricks to watch out for Mar 15, 2023

• Calculating LOTS of words (like 10,000) per day/hour at your agreed hourly rate = a per word rate of 0.02-0.04
• Not paying for reps in “revision” jobs that are really PEMT jobs
• Agreeing to a rate of say 0.06 for PEMT then applying a PEMT discount to that rate = a per word rate of 0.03-0.04

All of the above and other dirty tricks like this are signs of a company I personally do NOT want to work with, because I would not make a living as a professional ling
... See more
• Calculating LOTS of words (like 10,000) per day/hour at your agreed hourly rate = a per word rate of 0.02-0.04
• Not paying for reps in “revision” jobs that are really PEMT jobs
• Agreeing to a rate of say 0.06 for PEMT then applying a PEMT discount to that rate = a per word rate of 0.03-0.04

All of the above and other dirty tricks like this are signs of a company I personally do NOT want to work with, because I would not make a living as a professional linguist and imo they are more interested in exploiting people than in a quality service. If you want to take responsibility and sign off on cheap, rushed jobs while not earning enough to pay the rent, go for it.
Collapse

Nikolay Novitskiy

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
A double discount? Mar 15, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:
• Agreeing to a rate of say 0.06 for PEMT then applying a PEMT discount to that rate

This seems really odd. If you have already agreed on a MTPE rate, there can't be another discount.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

being paid only for the words you correct, not all of the words you check and read...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »