Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 23:15
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
But MTPE is... Aug 26, 2021

Tony Keily wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

I'm currently post-editing a contract that was translated by DeepL from German to English. I find the quality really good! The only issue I have is that my dumb department (I'm an in-house translator) insists not only on post-editing the DeepL translation but also having it proofread by another translator after that. To me, this seems really excessive. What's the point of using technology if you have to check everything twice afterwards anyway?

The main TSP standards require reviewing after translation. If your agency sees MTPE as equivalent to the translation stage it would need to have a review done to comply with the standards. Mind you, most agencies don't comply with the standards, whatever they advertise on their sites!

... not equivalent to the translation stage. The translation stage is the actual MT itself. Not much point in using machine translation if we think that the result is so useless that it needs to be proofread twice.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Disagree Aug 27, 2021

MT does not replace the translation stage.

And it DEFINITELY needs to be proofread twice, because unless a company wishes to replace the usual MTPE "discount" with an MTPE "premium" (+% over usual cost of translation), then it will never-ever be done quite as cleanly as full translation the first time around.

Because MTPE stimulates workers to just leave stuff like passive voice and weird but logically ok-ish clause orders be.

If they got paid for TRANSLAT
... See more

And it DEFINITELY needs to be proofread twice, because unless a company wishes to replace the usual MTPE "discount" with an MTPE "premium" (+% over usual cost of translation), then it will never-ever be done quite as cleanly as full translation the first time around.

Because MTPE stimulates workers to just leave stuff like passive voice and weird but logically ok-ish clause orders be.

If they got paid for TRANSLATION and were sneakily using unauthorized MT to pre-translate, they might well feel obliged to mask off or fully rewrite obviously awkward MT constructs. Here? It's MT as it says so clearly in the job order.

Gerard Barry wrote:

Tony Keily wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

I'm currently post-editing a contract that was translated by DeepL from German to English. I find the quality really good! The only issue I have is that my dumb department (I'm an in-house translator) insists not only on post-editing the DeepL translation but also having it proofread by another translator after that. To me, this seems really excessive. What's the point of using technology if you have to check everything twice afterwards anyway?

The main TSP standards require reviewing after translation. If your agency sees MTPE as equivalent to the translation stage it would need to have a review done to comply with the standards. Mind you, most agencies don't comply with the standards, whatever they advertise on their sites!

... not equivalent to the translation stage. The translation stage is the actual MT itself. Not much point in using machine translation if we think that the result is so useless that it needs to be proofread twice.

[Edited at 2021-08-27 04:50 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 27, 2021

Adieu wrote:

It might replace a first draft.

When I do my first draft, I only look stuff up if I don't understand, and I leave bits in the source language (French) if I still don't understand after a quick internet search.
It's more an equivalent to reading the text all the way through than translation and I do it because I'm always too impatient to read anything all the way through before getting my teeth into the job. I would be highly embarrassed if anyone were to see my work at this stage.
Even then, I prefer working on my first draft than on MT, because I know what is to be done, how much stuff I have to research, and it's all written the way I write. While I know I have a couple of blind spots (I have confused oursin and ourson - sea urchin and teddy bear!- more than once - praise be to my ever-patient proofreading colleague!) I also know to look out for them. i.e. I do know what I don't know. MT won't put sea urchin instead of teddy bear, but it might make some other monumental mistake that I won't necessarily catch unless I'm being very very careful. PEMT has always given me a headache, I think precisely because of this danger.

[Edited at 2021-08-27 08:44 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Btw Aug 27, 2021

Are we talking about a properly segmented, side-by-side MT+TM mix in a CAT tool? Or just a word file someone pasted raw DeepL output into?

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Where I work ... Aug 27, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Are we talking about a properly segmented, side-by-side MT+TM mix in a CAT tool? Or just a word file someone pasted raw DeepL output into?

... the assistant/secretary runs the files through the Across CAT tool, where we then check the translation segment by segment. After this, the (second) proofreader reads the final translated Word file against the original. Unnecessarily laborious in my view.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

DeepL

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »