Sad news for the Spanish ProZ community
Thread poster: teju
teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 24, 2015

Yesterday I found out that our dear friend and colleague Henry Hinds had passed away on October 3rd. He was a member of our local community of translators, here in El Paso, Texas, and we would see Henry often at our association meetings. I don't have to tell you about the enormous contribution that he made through the years at Proz, the last time I checked he hadn't asked one single question yet he had answered thousands. For those of us who were fortunate enough to know him personally, he was a... See more
Yesterday I found out that our dear friend and colleague Henry Hinds had passed away on October 3rd. He was a member of our local community of translators, here in El Paso, Texas, and we would see Henry often at our association meetings. I don't have to tell you about the enormous contribution that he made through the years at Proz, the last time I checked he hadn't asked one single question yet he had answered thousands. For those of us who were fortunate enough to know him personally, he was always ready to help. Whenever I had a large translation project, Henry was always ready to lend a hand. He was one of those rare translators who seldom used a dictionary, a prolific worker, and a kind and generous person. He will be greatly missed. Descanse en paz, amigo.Collapse

Rachael Clayton
Manuel Aburto
Mónica Algazi

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A sad loss Dec 24, 2015

Thank you for telling us, Teju. What a sad loss for this community.

Mónica Algazi

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:59
SITE STAFF
Very sad news Dec 24, 2015

Not that long ago I remarked to myself that it was odd that I hadn't seen Henry in the forums for a while. An excellent contributor, he was one of the first people to register on the site back in 1999. Just over 24,000 term questions answered and almost 3,000 forum posts attest to the help he was able to give to others. He will be missed.

Mónica Algazi

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I wondered why he didn't ask his usual question Dec 24, 2015

The old chestnut of professional insurance was raised once again just a few weeks ago and I wondered then why it didn't generate a response from Henry. So sad to learn the reason.

Can this thread be copied to the In Memoriam forum?

teju
teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Sheila Dec 24, 2015

Of course! I didn't know there was an In Memoriam forum, please do.

About 6 weeks ago, a friend of mine wanted to get in touch with Henry to see if they could work together on a lengthy translation she had accepted. She called me and told me that Henry wasn't replying to her emails. I tried calling him on his cell, nothing. I sent him emails, no reply. I thought it was very odd, Henry always replied quickly. I was hoping that he had gone to Chile for a few weeks and that was the rea
... See more
Of course! I didn't know there was an In Memoriam forum, please do.

About 6 weeks ago, a friend of mine wanted to get in touch with Henry to see if they could work together on a lengthy translation she had accepted. She called me and told me that Henry wasn't replying to her emails. I tried calling him on his cell, nothing. I sent him emails, no reply. I thought it was very odd, Henry always replied quickly. I was hoping that he had gone to Chile for a few weeks and that was the reason he wasn't around. He loved Chile, he had been there many times. The thought of him being ill also entered my mind, the last time I saw him he was very thin and frail, but I put away those thoughts. That couldn't be it. It's truly sad to think he's not around anymore. Thank you Sheila for copying this thread on the other forum.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Verysad news. Dec 24, 2015

I am very very sorry to hear about that too.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A very sad loss Dec 24, 2015

He will be missed even outside the Spanish Proz community!

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sad news indeed Dec 24, 2015

Oh.. Teju, so sad. I realised too that Henry did not turn up in the forums, an incredible friend, we talked privately many times. I am really sorry. He will be missed. Que descanse en paz. Gracias, Teju, por contarnos.
Abrazo.

teju wrote:

Yesterday I found out that our dear friend and colleague Henry Hinds had passed away on October 3rd. He was a member of our local community of translators, here in El Paso, Texas, and we would see Henry often at our association meetings.

Kirsten Larsen (X)
Kirsten Larsen (X)
Spain
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
I just cannot believe it..... Dec 24, 2015

So sad..... Always a competent and considerate collegue..... So hard to understand that he isn´t here anymore.....
Descanse en paz.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
:( Dec 24, 2015

I really liked reading his posts.

Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Condolences Dec 24, 2015

Very sad news, a great loss.
M

yolanda Speece

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:59
English to Spanish
RIP Dec 24, 2015

Very sad news, indeed. An excellent translator, and an excellent human being. His contributions are legendary, and always precise. May he rest in peace.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sad Dec 24, 2015

We experience a great loss. Wonderful contributions in KudoZ and forums. Always could notice that, behind those lines, there was a great person writing.

Kirsten Larsen (X)
Kirsten Larsen (X)
Spain
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Obituary Dec 24, 2015

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Henry-Hinds&lc=2292&pid=176111232&mid=6633659

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
RIP Dec 24, 2015

It is very sad. He looked so robust in his profile photo I thought he'd be answering questions on Kudoz for years to come...He certanly knew his stuff...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sad news for the Spanish ProZ community

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »