Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
What do you think about this new predictive-typing translation technology?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:07
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Please just help yourself: Apr 6, 2016

Spence Green wrote:
Matthias:

Re: "bad results", could you post an example

Spence

As I was talking of MT in general (please just re-read my post), just hit any segment of your advertisement campaign (or my reply) into Google translate and publish it here (in German) as a proof that MT is equal or superior to human made translation. You may repeat the test with your solution and publish it here, too.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:07
German to English
Thanks Apr 6, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

I wouldn't really worry about Tom, he doesn't even use a CAT tool, so his opinion in such matters will obviously be, how shall I put this? ...slightly prehistoric.

I don't think Lilt will ever convince me until they transform it into a plugin so it can be used inside memoQ, but I concede that the idea is interesting. I tried it briefly, but just can't stand the online interface. Any online interface really. I want to work in my own CAT tool, with all my own resources.

So Spence et al., if you are reading this: IMNSHO, the key to your success will be developing a plug-in for the major CAT tools.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-04-06 08:21 GMT]

Thank you Michael, for that clarification. I can let it go now. As MemoQ is my tool of choice, I think a plug is a good idea. Their current default plug I don't find that useful.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Online only = confidentiality a concern Apr 6, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
I tried it briefly, but just can't stand the online interface. Any online interface really. I want to work in my own CAT tool, with all my own resources.

Agreed. I want to work within my existing environment, not throw everything out the window and start from scratch. For me that means an SDL Studio plugin.

Still, it has a good chance (I think) of attracting beginners and casual translators who haven't already invested in CAT. The key is an attractive price point - $10 a month or something in that ball park?

My primary concern is (still) confidentiality. It was made very clear on the call that the server horsepower deployed in the background to deliver Lilt's magic is substantial and that a desktop version isn't on the cards.

It seems then that everything you translate must be sent to Lilt, which means you have to be quite trusting. The information may be sensitive; I routinely translate financial documents that have not yet been released to the public, for example. As has been noted many times on this forum, some clients explicitly forbid the use of online MT, including many of mine. So for me that's probably a show-stopper.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of a semi-intelligent assistant like Lilt and I hope it succeeds.

Regards
Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about this new predictive-typing translation technology?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »