Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What do you think about this new predictive-typing translation technology?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2016

It seems to combine the best of MT with internal document matching / term consistency with the human translator's brain with only a minimal interruption in the normal/standard translation process and without all the fuzzy match nonsense.

https://lilt.com/

Provided that no way is found to pay translators less money.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:18 GMT
... See more
It seems to combine the best of MT with internal document matching / term consistency with the human translator's brain with only a minimal interruption in the normal/standard translation process and without all the fuzzy match nonsense.

https://lilt.com/

Provided that no way is found to pay translators less money.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:20 GMT]
Collapse

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
limited language pairs Feb 27, 2016

For me it is useless due to the limited language pairs.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Looks interesting but… Feb 27, 2016

only if they manage to offer some form of plugin so it can be used from within a CAT tool.

Michael

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
True ITP in a CAT tool.. Feb 27, 2016

Proof-of-concept video on my website:

http://www.linguisticproductions.com/itp-cat-demo

....with more info coming soon on how to implement it.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 15:41 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Indeed Feb 27, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

only if they manage to offer some form of plugin so it can be used from within a CAT tool.

My thoughts exactly. Together with the OP's "Provided that no way is found to pay translators less".

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Very interesting! Feb 27, 2016

Patrick Porter wrote:

Any plans to integrate this with Slate Desktop, or will it only work with Moses and/or your own MT engine/system.

To be honest, I haven't actually had time to do much testing of Slate Desktop yet, but your idea sounds like something that would work beautifully together with it.

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
possible... Feb 27, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Patrick Porter wrote:

Any plans to integrate this with Slate Desktop, or will it only work with Moses and/or your own MT engine/system.

To be honest, I haven't actually had time to do much testing of Slate Desktop yet, but your idea sounds like something that would work beautifully together with it.

In fact I've mentioned it to them...and asked if Slate will output the necessary "search graph" info from Moses. The reply was that it is not something they are planning for the early versions...so perhaps in the future.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 16:00 GMT]

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:25
French to English
+ ...
ITP in a CAT tool? Feb 28, 2016

Since for most people this would be useless outside a CAT tool, how would it integrate into the CAT tool's own predictive mechanisms, such as Autosuggest? Would it replace it, supplement it, or would be a different window? Where?

Interesting, though not sure this would be practical.

Sandra

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Attention to detail, please Feb 28, 2016

The promotional video in https://lilt.com/ contains a typo for some seconds...

[Edited at 2016-02-28 08:53 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meeehhh... Feb 28, 2016

Anything claiming to be "the future of translation" immediately sends alarm signals to the BS detector zone of my ageing cerebrum. Moreover, my recollections of predictive SMS texting on mobile phones make me wary that this latest PTTT will turn out to be yet another devilish device, apparently designed to make perfectly intelligent and capable adults feel frustratingly like inept and feeble-witted dunderheads. It also scarily reminds me of those irritating people who jump in and finish your sen... See more
Anything claiming to be "the future of translation" immediately sends alarm signals to the BS detector zone of my ageing cerebrum. Moreover, my recollections of predictive SMS texting on mobile phones make me wary that this latest PTTT will turn out to be yet another devilish device, apparently designed to make perfectly intelligent and capable adults feel frustratingly like inept and feeble-witted dunderheads. It also scarily reminds me of those irritating people who jump in and finish your sentences for you, and assume what you're thinking based on their subjective perceptions of minimal criteria. I'm afraid I won't be shelling out any of my hard-earned boodle for this latest techno-gewgaw any time soon.Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
I'm with Neilmac Feb 28, 2016

Even though the example posted by Patrick looks fairly impressive, I don't think I would enjoy using it, as I generally dislike the machines trying to second-guess me. To me, this system looks like an assistive technology for slow thinkers, and my brain is sharp enough to make a decision on its own. If I choose between several alternatives, I don't need them to appear in print before my eyes. In other words, the predictive typing tends to provide more harmful "noise" than useful "signal".

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
totally with Neilmac Feb 28, 2016

I hate the thing on my mobile that tries to leap in with what it thinks I want to say. I've noticed that it actually suggests different words according to the person I'm texting to (based on previous messages I've sent them, and even on messages I've written and not sent!) which feels very big brotherly, but it isn't capable of switching languages according to the person I'm texting to, so a text in French gets auto-corrected in English and vice versa. If I had to contend with my desktop doing t... See more
I hate the thing on my mobile that tries to leap in with what it thinks I want to say. I've noticed that it actually suggests different words according to the person I'm texting to (based on previous messages I've sent them, and even on messages I've written and not sent!) which feels very big brotherly, but it isn't capable of switching languages according to the person I'm texting to, so a text in French gets auto-corrected in English and vice versa. If I had to contend with my desktop doing that to my translations I don't think I would ever have a good hair day for the rest of my days as a translator.Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well, to be honest... Feb 28, 2016

...for my part I don't currently use any auto-suggestion feature in my own translation work. As Anton and Neilmac make clear, it isn't for everyone...and possibly not even me.

However, in some of the testing for the prototypes shown in my demo video, it became apparent to me that it might be helpful if I can get used to working that way.

In my specific case, I do a lot of high-volume work with lots of repetition, which tends to be amenable to the use of technical aids.
... See more
...for my part I don't currently use any auto-suggestion feature in my own translation work. As Anton and Neilmac make clear, it isn't for everyone...and possibly not even me.

However, in some of the testing for the prototypes shown in my demo video, it became apparent to me that it might be helpful if I can get used to working that way.

In my specific case, I do a lot of high-volume work with lots of repetition, which tends to be amenable to the use of technical aids. In fact, these kinds of tools are probably indispensable with this material. I like to think of myself as a "sharp" thinker as well, but for me, a useful tech aid can reduce mental fatigue when working on these kinds of documents, especially after long hours. One of the ways I've been successful lately has been to generate a high output working on these kinds of texts.

Or perhaps I just need to try harder to get better translation jobs...

[Edited at 2016-02-28 14:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would probably never use the MT predictive feature either as... Feb 28, 2016

... it would be quite annoying. However, it would be nice to get a reminder of how you previously translated a phrase internally within each document.

For example, when you start translating something like "la Ley del Organismo Judicial" or "Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México", the system would automatically remind you of how you translated it previously in that same document.

I realize that this is a feature that may be currently available in Trados, but I
... See more
... it would be quite annoying. However, it would be nice to get a reminder of how you previously translated a phrase internally within each document.

For example, when you start translating something like "la Ley del Organismo Judicial" or "Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México", the system would automatically remind you of how you translated it previously in that same document.

I realize that this is a feature that may be currently available in Trados, but I haven't found a way to make it work automatically without intentionally adding the term each time. By the time you realize that it's a recurring term that you would like to add, you are either almost done translating or you have memorized your own translation.

I would also like a way to integrate online dictionaries with Trados (highlight the source, pop-up window)...
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Don't like it, won't use it. Feb 28, 2016

Various word processors in the 1980s offered predictive typing as a feature using some algorithm based on the lexicon in the spelling checker. I found it distracting and deactivated it.

I tried it briefly when MemoQ first offered it as a feature and didn't like it any better, even though it's based on previous work. I tend to use a wide vocabulary and don't need automatic suggestions for words I use every day. For some people it could be quite useful, I suppose. It just gets in my w
... See more
Various word processors in the 1980s offered predictive typing as a feature using some algorithm based on the lexicon in the spelling checker. I found it distracting and deactivated it.

I tried it briefly when MemoQ first offered it as a feature and didn't like it any better, even though it's based on previous work. I tend to use a wide vocabulary and don't need automatic suggestions for words I use every day. For some people it could be quite useful, I suppose. It just gets in my way (not that I'm a fast typist!).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about this new predictive-typing translation technology?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »